Marshall in Calhoun County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers
History of The Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers
Through the efforts of W.D. Robinson, an organization was attempted as early as the year 1855. Several years of discouragement followed. On May 8, 1863, at the home of J. C. (Yankee) Thompson, pictured above and still standing at the corner of Linden and Hanover Streets, was held the first meeting of the above named Locomotive Engineers. At this meeting these men formed an organization known as The Brotherhood of the Footboard. On May 17, 1864, in the city of Indianapolis, Indiana, this was changed to the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers whose membership on Jan. 1, 1943 was 70,000.
Endowed with the spirit of these men to improve their wages and working conditions. This great monument has been carried on by their successors for the improvement of transportation service for all mankind.
The purpose of this organization shall be to combine the, interest of the locomotive engineers or other men in engine service who are now or may hereafter become eligible to membership in this organization elevate their financial interests, and promote their general welfare, it's cardinal principles, sobriety, truth, justice and morality.
The above paragraph of the constitution adopted on May 8, 1863, is still the first clause of the present constitution.
1863
1943
Through the efforts of brothers E.C. Russ, Division 33 and W.C. Harvey Division 2, a resolution was submitted by delegates C.J. Brabenac, Division 1, F.L. Putnam, Division 2 and F.W. Dexter, Division 33, to the Grand International Division of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers in Cleveland, Ohio, who on June 12th 1942, authorized the erection of this memorial to commemorate the initiation of a movement which began here and resulted in the organization now known as The Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers.
H.F. Hemby General Secy.-Treasurer
A. Johnston Grand Chief Engineer
Erected 1943.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Labor Unions • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical date for this entry is May 8, 1863.
Location. 42° 16.379′ N, 84° 56.901′ W. Marker is in Marshall, Michigan, in Calhoun County. It is on East Michigan Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 800 E Michigan Ave, Marshall MI 49068, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Southwest Michigan. It is also in the American Midwest and on the Great Lakes. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Northwest Territory.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Cabin of Adam Crosswhite (a few steps from this marker); Gordon Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oliver C. Comstock Jr. (approx. 0.3 miles away); Grand Army of the Republic / The G.A.R. Hall (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rendezvous Encampment (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sidney Ketchum (1797-1862) / Marshall House (approx. 0.4 miles away); "Old Territorial Road" (approx. 0.4 miles away); The United States Bicentennial 1776-1976 (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marshall.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 28, 2023. It was originally submitted on February 18, 2023, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 451 times since then and 84 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 27, 2023, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. 4, 5. submitted on February 18, 2023, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.




