Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Roswell in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Roswell Factory

>>>------>

 
 
Roswell Factory Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 15, 2009
1. Roswell Factory Marker
Inscription.  Chattahoochee River water power caused Roswell King to establish a town here in 1837. He had a cotton mill in operation by 1839.

By 1853 two cotton mills, a woolen mill, flour mill, and tannery were in operation, employing two hundred and fifty hands. In 1864, Sherman burned the mills, and skilled female operatives were sent north to deprive the south of their services.

The mills were rebuilt after the war and have been in continuous operation.
 
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 060-4A.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1837.
 
Location. 34° 0.92′ N, 84° 21.668′ W. Marker is in Roswell, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is at the intersection of Sloan Street and Mill Street, on the right when traveling east on Sloan Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Roswell GA 30075, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
marker. The Old Bricks (a few steps from this marker); Original Mill (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Nathaniel A. Pratt (about 600 feet away); Archibald Smith (about 600 feet away); John Dunwoody (about 700 feet away); James S. Bulloch (about 700 feet away); Elizabeth King Hand (about 700 feet away); Barrington King (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Roswell.
 
Regarding Roswell Factory. The mills were rebuilt in 1882, and destroyed by lightning in 1929. The mill was rebuilt again, and continued in operation until 1975. The mill was restored and the space has been used as a restaurant since that time.
 
The Roswell Factory (Mill) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 15, 2009
2. The Roswell Factory (Mill)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 16, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,487 times since then and 137 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 16, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=21713

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 22, 2024