Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lewisburg in Greenbrier County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

Lewisburg

 
 
Lewisburg Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, March 27, 2009
1. Lewisburg Marker
Inscription.  
Side A
Site of Fort Savannah, built in 1755. Here at Camp Union Gen. Andrew Lewis mustered troops which participated in the Battle of Point Pleasant 1774. Lewisburg was incorporated in October, 1782, by the Virginia Assembly.

Side B
Presbyterian Church established 1783. Stone building erected, 1796, still used for worship. Lewisburg Academy founded, 1812, was precursor of Greenbrier Military School and of Greenbrier College. Library-Museum built, 1834.
 
Erected 1963 by West Virginia Historic Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducationForts and CastlesSettlements & SettlersWar, French and Indian. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1782.
 
Location. 37° 48.222′ N, 80° 26.901′ W. Marker is in Lewisburg, West Virginia, in Greenbrier County. Marker is at the intersection of Courtney Drive and Washington Street (U.S. 60)
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
on Courtney Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lewisburg WV 24901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate Cemetery / The Civil War (a few steps from this marker); Confederate Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); William Cammack Campbell (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Lewisburg (within shouting distance of this marker); Shuck Memorial Baptist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Lewisburg Foundation (about 400 feet away); Battle of Lewisburg (about 400 feet away); Greenbrier College / Greenbrier Hall (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewisburg.
 
Lewisburg Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, March 27, 2009
2. Lewisburg Marker
Lewisburg Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, September 14, 2019
3. Lewisburg Marker
Old Presbyterian Stone Church, Lewisburg WV image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., June 21, 2014
4. Old Presbyterian Stone Church, Lewisburg WV
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 10, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 17, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,560 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 17, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   3. submitted on October 7, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.   4. submitted on July 15, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=21747

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 28, 2024