Saint Mary-of-the-Woods in Vigo County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Saint Theodora Guerin
— Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College —
Born Anne-Thérèse Guérin in 1798 in France. In 1823, she entered the Catholic congregation Sisters of Providence of Ruillé; received the name Sister St. Theodore. Noted for her teaching, she led a mission from France to establish schools and orphanages in the Indiana wilderness; arrived here fall 1840 and established the Sisters of Providence in U.S.
Guérin opened a female academy in July 1841, the predecessor of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College. Initially, she and the sisters endured anti-Catholic sentiments and harsh frontier conditions. At her death in 1856, she had directed the opening of 11 schools in 9 Indiana towns. Pope Benedict XVI canonized her in 2006, naming her Saint Theodora Guérin.
Erected 2009 by Indiana Historical Bureau and Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods. (Marker Number 84.2009.1.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Education • Women. In addition, it is included in the Indiana Historical Bureau Markers series list.
Location. 39° 30.526′ N, 87° 27.65′ W. Marker is in Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Indiana, in Vigo County. Marker is on Grotto Drive (aka: College Road 10) west of College Road 9, on the right when traveling west. I find it best to take the East Entrance into the location off of St. Marys Road. Then go all the way in - past the water tower (keep it to your left) - then you should run into "Grotto Drive". Turn left to get to the Grotto and the Marker. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Mary of the Woods IN 47876, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of First Providence Convent (within shouting distance of this marker); Charles Gene Abrell (approx. 2.3 miles away); Burial Ground Fort William Harrison (approx. 2.6 miles away); The Unknown Embattled Defenders of Fort Harrison (approx. 2.6 miles away); Fort Harrison (approx. 2.6 miles away); Confederate Soldiers Buried in this Cemetery (approx. 3.1 miles away); Union Hospital (approx. 3.3 miles away); Twelve Points (approx. 3½ miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods(Submitted on August 18, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
2. Photos of Dedication (Courtesy - Indiana Historical Bureau):. (Submitted on January 20, 2013, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Additional keywords. Saint Mary-of-the-Woods Grotto
Credits. This page was last revised on April 25, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 18, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 948 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on August 18, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.