Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Williamsport in Pickaway County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Deercreek Frontier / Williamsport and Deercreek Township

 
 
The Deercreek Frontier Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., February 22, 2009
1. The Deercreek Frontier Marker
Inscription.  
The Deercreek Frontier
In 1772-73 missionary David Jones visited Blue Jacket's Town, a settlement of 12 cabins downstream on the east bank and Pickaweekee, a Shawnee town, on the west bank. Deercreek Methodist Circuit Deacon, Dr. Edward Tiffin, met settlers after 1798. Dr. Tiffin was later elected the first governor of Ohio. A station of Virginia bounty-land settlers, “Williams Town,” assembled here around 1797. Mill sites, established before Pickaway County, flourished in the dense oak forest of Deercreek Township. Frontier hotels in Williamsport prospered due to the “healthful” sulphur springs.

Williamsport and Deercreek Township
Development occurred rapidly in this area. In 1803 the first school was built in Deercreek Township, in 1810 the Christian Church, in 1812 Baker Mill, in 1813 Yates Mill, (restored in 1980's), in 1816 a Post Office and in 1826 the Deercreek Methodist Circuit Class was organized. Williamsport incorporated in 1842. A separate village school system was established in 1874 and a high school operated from 1891-1964. A weekly newspaper was published
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
from 1889-1979. From 1903-1929 theatrical companies featuring "Uncle Tom's Cabin" toured from Williamsport
 
Erected 1991 by Sorosis Club of Williamsport and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 2-65.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionCommunicationsEducationEntertainmentIndustry & CommerceNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1798.
 
Location. 39° 35.147′ N, 83° 7.121′ W. Marker is in Williamsport, Ohio, in Pickaway County. Marker is at the intersection of Mill Street (U.S. 22) and Main Street, on the right when traveling west on Mill Street. Marker is on the community park grounds. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsport OH 43164, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. P.F.C. Franklin E. Sollars (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Monroe Township Veterans Memorial (approx. 7 miles away); New Holland (approx. 7.7 miles away); Circleville (approx. 9 miles away); Political Meeting at Second Baptist Church
Williamsport and Deercreek Township Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., February 22, 2009
2. Williamsport and Deercreek Township Marker
(approx. 9.1 miles away); Red Brick Manor (approx. 9.2 miles away); 2010 Bicentennial Mural (approx. 9.2 miles away); The Underground Railroad / The Underground Railroad in Pickaway County (approx. 9.2 miles away).
 
The Deercreek Frontier / Williamsport and Deercreek Township Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., February 22, 2009
3. The Deercreek Frontier / Williamsport and Deercreek Township Marker
Looking northeast.
The Deercreek Frontier / Williamsport and Deercreek Township Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Bosse, May 18, 2019
4. The Deercreek Frontier / Williamsport and Deercreek Township Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 27, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,258 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 27, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.   4. submitted on July 7, 2019, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=21965

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 27, 2024