Near Remington in Culpeper County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Fauquier County / Culpeper County
Fauquier County. Area 686 Square Miles. Formed in 1759 from Prince William, and named for Francis Fauquier, Governor of Virginia, 1758-1768. Chief Justice John Marshall was born in this County.
Culpeper County. Area 384 Square Miles. Formed in 1748 from Orange, and named for Lord Culpeper, Governor of Virginia, 1680-1683. The Battle of Cedar mountain, 1862 was fought in this County.
Erected 1946 by Virginia Conservation Commission. (Marker Number Z-187.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1759.
Location. 38° 31.674′ N, 77° 49.238′ W. Marker is near Remington, Virginia, in Culpeper County. Marker is on James Madison Highway (U.S. 15/29) just south of Rappahannock River, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Francis Hume (approx. ¼ mile away); Rappahannock Station (approx. 0.7 miles away); Battle of Kelly's Ford (approx. 1.2 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Kelly's Ford (approx. 1.2 miles away); Where Pelham Fell (approx. 2 miles away); The Battle of Brandy Station (approx. 2 miles away); a different marker also named The Battle of Brandy Station (approx. 2 miles away); a different marker also named The Battle of Brandy Station (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Remington.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 30, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,542 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 30, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.