Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Greenville in Meriwether County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Meriwether County

 
 
Meriwether County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 25, 2009
1. Meriwether County Marker
Inscription.  Meriwether County, “Second Home” of Pres. Franklin D. Roosevelt and birthplace of three Ga. Governors -- Joseph M. Terrell, William Y. Atkinson and John M. Slaton -- was created by Act of Dec. 14, 1827 from Troup County. It was named for Gen. David Meriwether (1755-1823), Revolutionary soldier, legislator, Congressman. Representing the government in various negotiations with the Indians, he had unusual influence with their Chiefs. First officers of Meriwether County, commissioned Feb. 7, 1828, were: Joseph Weaver, Sheriff; Hugh W. Ector, Clk. Sup. Ct.; A.M. Weathers, Clk. Inf. Ct.; Joseph Crockett, Surveyor; John Edmonds, Coroner.
 
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 099-3.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Law EnforcementSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is February 7, 1878.
 
Location. 33° 1.714′ N, 84° 42.765′ W. Marker is in Greenville
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, Georgia, in Meriwether County. Marker is at the intersection of Roosevelt Highway (U.S. 27) and Greenville Road/Woodbury Road (Georgia Route 109), in the median on Roosevelt Highway. The marker is located on the courthouse lawn. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greenville GA 30222, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Noted Indian Trail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Union Cemetery (approx. 7˝ miles away); a different marker also named Noted Indian Trail (approx. 8.6 miles away); Mountville Community (approx. 9.3 miles away); Red Oak Creek Covered Bridge (approx. 9.3 miles away); Warm Springs Treatment Pools (approx. 9˝ miles away); Mountville Methodist (approx. 9˝ miles away); Franklin D. Roosevelt (approx. 9.6 miles away).
 
Meriwether County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 25, 2009
2. Meriwether County Courthouse
This courthouse was designed by J. W. Golucke and built in 1903, replacing the original which was completed in 1832. This courthouse burned in 1976, and an entirely new interior was built inside the standing walls.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 5, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,091 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 5, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=22179

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 27, 2024