Near Shiloh in Hardin County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
25th Indiana Infantry Regiment
Veatch's Brigade - Hurlbut's Division
Army of the Tennessee
Lieut. Col. William H. Morgan.
2nd Brigade - Col. J.C. Veatch -
4th Division - Gen. Hurlbut-
Army of the Tennessee.
Lieut. Col. William H. Morgan
Major John W. Foster
This Regiment took this position at 9 a.m. April 6th 1862 and held it against a fierce assault of the enemy for two hours. Being flanked fell back 100 yards again it fell back 100 yards. Here Regiment was furiously assailed by infantry and artillery, which caused it to fall back slowly to the right of the siege guns, where it rested Sunday night. On Monday, April 7th Regiment continued in battle during the day. Casualties: Killed 2 officers and 19 men. Wounded 4 officers and 111 men. Missing 3 men. Total 139
Erected by State of Indiana.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is April 6, 1862.
Location. 35° 8.28′ N, 88° 20.844′ W. Marker is Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Shiloh TN 38376, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bankhead's Tennessee Battery (a few steps from this marker); 14th Illinois Infantry (a few steps from this marker); 12th Tennessee Infantry (a few steps from this marker); 4th Tennessee Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); 45th Illinois Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Battery D, 1st Illinois Light Artillery (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named 4th Tennessee Infantry (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 15th Michigan Infantry (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shiloh.
Also see . . . 25th Indiana Infantry Regiment. Short history of the regiment. (Submitted on September 7, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 7, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,170 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 7, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.