Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Stevenson in Jackson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Stevenson Depot and Hotel

 
 
Stevenson Depot and Hotel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Carr
1. Stevenson Depot and Hotel Marker
Inscription.  A one-story depot building was constructed here in 1853, when the railroad was first laid through Stevenson. That building burned after the Civil War and was replaced by the present brick depot and hotel in 1872.

During the Civil War, Stevenson was a hub of activity. Union and Confederate troops skirmished here and the town changed hands more than once, though Stevenson mostly lay under Union control. Troops occupied the town and a large refugee camp sprang up between the depot and Ft. Harker, a quarter-mile east.

Tens of thousands of soldiers, horses, wagons, prisoners of war, refugees, wounded men and others passed through Stevenson during the late summer and fall of 1863, before, during and after the Battles of Chattanooga and Chickamauga. Harper's Weekly, an influential newspaper of the time, noting the juncture of East-West and North-South rail lines here, called Stevenson "One of the seven most important cities in the South."

Reverse:
After the war, the depot and hotel continued as the center of life in Stevenson. Trains stopped here at mealtimes and passengers ate in the hotel dining rooms. Other
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
passengers spent the night here; the hotel is so close to the tracks that it was said the trains "opened the hotel windows and pulled the covers off the beds." Generations recalled final passenger departures and arrivals here, often sad and poignant especially during war times.

A group of citizens saved the depot from destruction during the Bicentennial in 1976, when the last railroad office closed. The depot was renovated for use as a community museum, which opened in June 1982.

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places 5/13/1974
 
Erected by Alabama Historical Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & StreetcarsWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Alabama Historical Commission series list. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1982.
 
Location. 34° 52.074′ N, 85° 50.4′ W. Marker is in Stevenson, Alabama, in Jackson County. Marker is on West Main Street (State Highway 117), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stevenson AL 35772, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Flight 800 Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Harker (approx. 0.4 miles away); Union Army Headquarters (approx. half a mile away);
Stevenson Depot and Hotel Marker Reverse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Carr
2. Stevenson Depot and Hotel Marker Reverse
Averyville (approx. 0.8 miles away); Bennett's Cove Cabin (approx. one mile away); Wet, Wild, and Wonderful (approx. 1.3 miles away); Crow Town (approx. 1˝ miles away); Rocky Springs Church of Christ (approx. 7.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stevenson.
 
Stevenson Depot image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Carr
3. Stevenson Depot
Stevenson Hotel image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Carr
4. Stevenson Hotel
Stevenson Depot and Hotel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brandon Fletcher, October 1, 2011
5. Stevenson Depot and Hotel Marker
Stevenson Depot and Hotel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brandon Fletcher, October 1, 2011
6. Stevenson Depot and Hotel Marker
Stevenson Depot and Hotel image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brandon Fletcher, October 1, 2011
7. Stevenson Depot and Hotel
Depot and Hotel in the distance via the railroad overlook.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 7, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 2,593 times since then and 101 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 7, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.   5, 6, 7. submitted on August 31, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=22271

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2024