Hillsborough in Orange County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. Mary's Chapel
Erected 1973 by Office of Archives and History. (Marker Number G-90.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Colonial Era • Religion & Religious Structures. A significant historical year for this entry is 1759.
Location. 36° 6.972′ N, 78° 59.99′ W. Marker is in Hillsborough, North Carolina, in Orange County. It is at the intersection of Saint Marys Road and Pleasant Green Rd, on the left when traveling east on Saint Marys Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5601 St Marys Rd, Hillsborough NC 27278, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in North Carolina’s Piedmont and in the Research Triangle. It is also in the American South and specifically in the Upper South. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the territory of the Mississippian Culture, one of the original Thirteen Colonies, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: A different marker also named St. Mary's Chapel (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Historic Russell School (approx. 3.1 miles away); Trading Path (approx. 5.4 miles away); Historic Occoneechee-Orange Speedway (approx. 5½ miles away); Welcome to the Historic Occoneechee Speedway Trail (approx. 5.8 miles away); Stephen B. Weeks (approx. 5.8 miles away); William B. Umstead (approx. 5.8 miles away); St. Matthew's Churchyard (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hillsborough.
Also see . . . St. Mary's Chapel.
Orange County and the Anglican St. Matthews Parish were created in 1752, taken from western segments of Granville, Johnston, and Bladen Counties and their respective parishes. The first church to serve the citizens of Orange was St. Matthews, on the corner of Churton and Tryon Streets in Hillsborough. It was established about 1757. St. Marys Chapel was built about seven miles northeast of Hillsborough on land donated by Thomas Holden in 1759. The intended purpose was to serve residents of northern Orange County, while New Hope Chapel, built around the same time, was to serve those in the southern part of the county. New Hope Chapel was constructed on the hill that would later become the nucleus of Chapel Hill. The Reverend George Micklejohn is thought to have preached at all three of the Orange County Churches of England from his arrival in Hillsborough in 1767 until the outbreak of the American Revolution.(Submitted on May 15, 2023, by Michael Buckner of Durham, North Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 20, 2023. It was originally submitted on May 15, 2023, by Michael Buckner of Durham, North Carolina. This page has been viewed 540 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 15, 2023, by Michael Buckner of Durham, North Carolina. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

