Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ellerslie in Harris County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Wire Road

»—→

 
 
The Wire Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 24, 2009
1. The Wire Road Marker
Inscription.  This road marks the route of the first telegraph lines from Washington to New Orleans, via Columbus, completed in 1848. The road entered Harris County at Mount Airy (later Ridgeway), 5 miles from here. A stagecoach inn, stores, houses, and schools there were almost swept away by the cyclone of 1875. On this road stood Bethesda Baptist Church, organized in 1828, later moved to Ellerslie. The home of Gen. Henry Lowe, near this junction, entertained Ex-President James K. Polk and other prominent visitors as they came from Milledgeville, the capital of Georgia, along the Wire Road.
 
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 072-5.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: CommunicationsRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #11 James K. Polk, and the Georgia Historical Society series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1848.
 
Location. 32° 37.886′ N, 84° 48.107′ W. Marker is in Ellerslie, Georgia
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of Warm Springs Road (Alternate U.S. 27) and Talbotton Road (Georgia Route 315), on the right when traveling north on Warm Springs Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ellerslie GA 31807, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Richard Christmas (approx. 4 miles away); Kingsboro & Cataula (approx. 4.2 miles away); Lucy Laney Elementary School (approx. 4.7 miles away); “Blind Tom” (approx. 6.1 miles away); Fortson House/The Fortson Community (approx. 8 miles away); Fortson General Store (approx. 8.1 miles away); Hamilton Female College (approx. 9.4 miles away); Columbus Baptist Association (approx. 9.8 miles away).
 
The Wire Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 24, 2009
2. The Wire Road Marker
Looking north on Alternate US 27, toward Warm Springs
The Wire Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 24, 2009
3. The Wire Road Marker
The old Wire Road, now Talbotton Road (Georgia Highway 315) is in the background
The Wire Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 24, 2009
4. The Wire Road Marker
Looking southwest toward the intersection of Warm Springs Road and Talbotton Road, the old Wire Road
The Wire Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Dover, January 1, 2005
5. The Wire Road Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 11, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,754 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 11, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   5. submitted on January 2, 2011, by Michael Dover of Ellerslie, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=22377

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 20, 2024