Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dublin in County Dublin, Leinster, Ireland — Mid-East (and Dublin)
 

St. Patrick's Cathedral

Malton Trail

 
 
St. Patrick's Cathedral Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., April 6, 2009
1. St. Patrick's Cathedral Marker
Inscription.  
This majestic view of St. Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin is a colour reproduction from a series of original aquatints etched by James Malton, whose work, A Picturesque and Descriptive View of the City of Dublin, gives us a glimpse of Dublin at the close of the 18th-century.

Malton was “struck with admiration at the beauty of the capital of Ireland and was anxious to make a display of it to the world”.

It is here that St. Patrick was said to have baptised converts to Christianity in the 5th century. A church has been situated on this site ever since. The present one was first built around 1225, but it has been enlarged and restored many times. “The tower,” wrote Malton, “is placed at the north west corner of the Cathedral: its plan is a square of 38ft, and is 125ft high, and on the top is a plain octagonal Spire of Stone, rising 50ft to the point.”

Jonathan Swift, author of Gulliver's Travels, was Dean here from 1713 to 1745. His pulpit can still be seen although it is no longer used.

At the south side of the aisle is Swift's tomb. His famous epitaph, “He lies where
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
furious indignation can no longer rend his heart”, can be seen over the door of the robing room.

“It is not in a rich style of Gothic architecture”, wrote Malton of this work, “yet is on the whole a large and respectable pile of Building, and might, with some care and expense, be a real ornament to the City”, which, as you can see today, it is.
 
Erected by Baileys.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, MusicCemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1225.
 
Location. 53° 20.402′ N, 6° 16.325′ W. Marker is in Dublin, Leinster, in County Dublin. Marker is at the intersection of Patrick Street (National Route 81) and St. Patrick's Close, on the left when traveling south on Patrick Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dublin, Leinster 8, Ireland. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Saint Patrick’s Park (here, next to this marker); Dublin Millenium Literary Parade (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Chris Reid Oral History Artwork Project (about 210 meters away); James Clarence Mangan (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Veronica Guerin (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Castle Hall
St. Patrick's Cathedral and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., April 6, 2009
2. St. Patrick's Cathedral and Marker
(approx. half a kilometer away); Site of St Olave's Church / Láthair Eaglais Amhlaoibh (approx. half a kilometer away); First Performance of Handel's Messiah (approx. half a kilometer away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dublin.
 
Malton's St. Patrick's Cathedral Drawing image. Click for full size.
April 6, 2009
3. Malton's St. Patrick's Cathedral Drawing
St. Patrick's Cathedral image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., April 6, 2009
4. St. Patrick's Cathedral
Looking SSE across Patrick Street.
St. Patrick's Cathedral image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., April 6, 2009
5. St. Patrick's Cathedral
From St. Patrick's Park, looking southwest.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 14, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,552 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 14, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=22465

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 19, 2024