Highlands in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Navesink Highlands Light Station
At almost 200 feet above sea level, the Navesink Highlands Light Station, also known as Twin Lights, is positioned on one of the highest points on the Atlantic coast. Lighthouses on this site have guided mariners safely into New York Harbor since 1828. The present lighthouse was built in 1862.
Twin Lights is famous as the first lighthouse in the United States to be fitted in 1841 with the revolutionary Fresnel lenses. These lenses create an intense and bright light that was visible at great distances.
In 1898, a large bivalve lens was installed in the south tower. This lens was, for many years, the most powerful light in the United States. The range of the light was 22 miles, but sailors reported seeing the flash against the night sky from as far as 70 miles away. This lens is currently on display in the powerhouse building down the walkway to your right.
Advances in navigation technology made many lighthouses obsolete, and in 1949, the Twin Lights were turned off. The lighthouse stood as a daytime beacon until it was removed from the official lists in 1951.
The federal government initially turned the
Erected by NJ Department of Environmental Protection, Division of Parks & Forestry.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Landmarks • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Lighthouses series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1828.
Location. 40° 23.783′ N, 73° 59.153′ W. Marker is in Highlands, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is on Lighthouse Road. Marker is located in the Twin Lights Historic Site. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Navesink Light Station (here, next to this marker); Spermaceti Cove Lifeboat Station (a few steps from this marker); Marconi at Twin Lights (a few steps from this marker); The Old North Tower (within shouting distance of this marker); Telegraph and Radar at Twin Lights (within shouting distance of this marker); Twin Lights Mystery Cannon (within shouting distance of this marker); Powerhouse Highlands Doughboy World War I Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Highlands.
More about this marker. The background of the marker features a picture of the Twin Lights of Navesink.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 20, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 811 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 20, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.