Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Richmond in Chesterfield County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Providence United Methodist Church

 
 
Providence United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kelly Siech, September 23, 2009
1. Providence United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  Established by 1807, the Providence Church congregation of the Methodist Episcopal Church became one of the first Methodist congregations in Chesterfield County to build a permanent house of worship when it constructed a meeting house here before 1813. The congregation included both whites and blacks. During the Civil War, soldiers from both sides used the church for shelter. In 1896 the congregation built a Gothic Revival church here: it was replaced in 1958.
 
Erected 1991 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number O-37.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1807.
 
Location. 37° 29.099′ N, 77° 32.95′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia, in Chesterfield County. Marker is on South Providence Road near Midlothian, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 814 South Providence Road, Richmond VA 23236, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bethlehem Baptist Church (approx. 1.8 miles away); First Railroad in Virginia (approx. 2.7 miles away); Black Heath (approx. 3.9 miles away); Huguenot Settlement (approx. 3.9 miles away); Trabue's Tavern (approx. 4.4 miles away); Atlantic Coastline Railroad Bridge (approx. 4.4 miles away); Frederick William Sievers (approx. 4.4 miles away); Forest Hill Park (approx. 4.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 24, 2009, by Kelly Siech of Fort Rucker, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,276 times since then and 19 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on September 24, 2009, by Kelly Siech of Fort Rucker, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=22698

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 27, 2024