Dumfries in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Prince William County Court House
— 1760 - 1822 —
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Government & Politics • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1822.
Location. 38° 34.058′ N, 77° 19.72′ W. Marker is in Dumfries, Virginia, in Prince William County. Marker is at the intersection of South Fairfax Street and Duke Street, on the right when traveling east on South Fairfax Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dumfries VA 22026, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Weems-Botts House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Weems-Botts House (about 300 feet away); Mason Locke Weems and George Washington (about 400 feet away); William Grayson Bandstand Memorial (about 500 feet away); Dumfries Methodist Church BellRevolutionary War Patriots and War of 1812 Veterans (approx. 0.2 miles away); In Memory (approx. ¼ mile away); Quantico Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dumfries.
More about this marker. This marker was erected by a private citizen in 1941. The Prince William County Historical Commission identified the need and arranged for repairs by a local mason. The marker was redicated on June 2, 2007.
Regarding Prince William County Court House. Dumfries, Virginia’s history began as early at 1690 when Richard Gibson erected a grist mill on Quantico Creek. The town of Dumfries was established on 60 acres of land provided by John Graham. He named the town after his Scottish birthplace Dumfrieshire.
After much political maneuvering, the General Assembly established Dumfries as the first of seven townships in the county. Dumfries received its charter on May 11, 1749—making it the oldest continuously chartered town in Virginia.
Dumfries was a prime location for the county court house during this era. In its early days, Dumfries was the second leading port in Colonial America, rivaling New York, Philadelphia and Boston, mainly through shipping out tobacco received from nearby farms. Dumfries peaked in size and importance in 1763, and for 15 years it was a thriving port city.
Ironically, the staple crop that made it such a prime port led to Dumfries’
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. The list includes all five Prince William County Courthouses in sequence from first through the fifth. Note that there are two markers for the second courthouse.
Also see . . . Town of Dumfries Official Website. (Submitted on September 3, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,820 times since then and 189 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 30, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 3, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.