Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ellinger in Fayette County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

James J. Ross

 
 
James J. Ross Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Richard Denney, September 20, 2009
1. James J. Ross Marker
Inscription.  Born in South Carolina in about 1787, James Jeffres Ross was a member of the ""Old Three Hundred." He arrived in Stephen F. Austin's colony in late 1822 or early 1823, moving onto the league granted him near Eagle Lake in Colorado County. In 1828 he moved to the S. A. Anderson League and built a home about one mile southwest of this site.
Col. Ross, as he was known, soon assumed a position of leadership as captain of the militia of the Colorado District. He was a delegate to the second convention at San Felipe in 1833 and was one of those appointed in 1834 to help obtain Austin's release from imprisonment in Mexico. He helped establish a stage line and a stop that became the town of Fayetteville.
An important figure during the early years of settlement in this part of the state, Ross was a successful farmer, rancher, trader, and merchant. Ross Prairie and Ross Creek, both in this vicinity, bear his name. He was killed by angry neighbors in January 1835 for sheltering Indians at his home and was buried in nearby Ross Cemetery. His home, which came to
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
be known as the Ross/Martinek House, was owned by Czech immigrant Joseph Martinek and his descendants for nearly seventy years.
 
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4354.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansSettlements & SettlersWar, Texas Independence. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1835.
 
Location. 29° 51.222′ N, 96° 43.726′ W. Marker is in Ellinger, Texas, in Fayette County. Marker is on East Farm Road 955, on the right when traveling east. Marker is NW of Ellinger on East Farm Road 955, Just off Highway 71. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ellinger TX 78938, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cesko Narodni Hřbitov (approx. 1.9 miles away); St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Cemetery (approx. 2.3 miles away); St. Mary's Catholic Church (approx. 3 miles away); Brethren Church (approx. 4 miles away); Fayetteville Brethren Church Cemetery (approx. 4 miles away); The Rev. Jindrich Juren (approx. 4 miles away); Osveta Public School (approx. 4.1 miles away); St. Paul Lutheran Church (approx. 4.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ellinger.
 
Marker on right image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Richard Denney, September 20, 2009
2. Marker on right
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 26, 2009, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 3,960 times since then and 370 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 26, 2009, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=22753

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 27, 2024