Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

City of Columbus

 
 
City of Columbus Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 25, 2009
1. City of Columbus Marker
Inscription.  This city of Columbus was created as a trading town by an act of the General Assembly of Georgia, December 24, 1827. The location designated was on the Chattahoochee River near the Coweta Falls. This spot was selected because it was at the head of river navigation and at the last of a series of falls which afforded great potential water-power.

A reservation of 1200 acres was allotted for the town and commons. Surveying of streets began Feb. 1, 1828 and was completed within three months. Within 13 days after the sale of city lots began, July 10, 1828, 488 of the total 632 lots had been sold. The remaining lots were sold in February, 1829.

Ignatius Few, Edwin L. de Graffenried, James Hallam, Philip H. Alston and Elias Beall were designated commissioners to conduct the sale. Edward Lloyd Thomas was the surveyor in charge. Governor John Forsyth and his staff attended the initial sale. While here they camped in tents pitched on the town commons which bordered the river between the present Fourth and Seventh streets.

By the end of 1829 the city had 1,000 inhabitants.
 
Erected 1953 by
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 106-3.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1829.
 
Location. 32° 28.064′ N, 84° 59.595′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is on Broadway, 0 miles north of 11th Street, in the median. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus GA 31901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kirven's Department Store (within shouting distance of this marker); The Ledger-Enquirer Newspapers (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Trinity Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away); Oglethorpe House (about 600 feet away); First Black Public School (about 800 feet away); Columbian Lodge No. 7, Free & Accepted Masons Columbus, Georgia (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dr. Thomas H. Brewer (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
 
City of Columbus Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 25, 2009
2. City of Columbus Marker
The north-bound lane of Broadway is in the background
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 28, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,178 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 28, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=22802

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 1, 2024