Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hamilton in Harris County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

U.S.S. Harris County

 
 
U.S.S. Harris County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 24, 2009
1. U.S.S. Harris County Marker
Inscription.  This bell was presented to Harris County by LST 822, U.S.S. HARRIS COUNTY, commissioned Nov. 23, 1944. Carrying the commander of LST Group 68, she led fourteen convoys through enemy waters without a casualty.

LST U.S.S. HARRIS COUNTY participated in the invasion of Okinawa, occupation of Japan, retaking of Iwo Jima, amphibious training operations at Inchon, Korea and Kimmu Wan, Okinawa. During the Korean War she was used for re-supply and logistic support. She aided in evacuation in French Indo-China. In June 1955 she received orders to lead an expedition to the Arctic on a Re-supply Mission.
 
Erected 1955 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 072-3.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: War, KoreanWar, World IIWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1955.
 
Location. 32° 45.529′ N, 84° 52.495′ W. Marker is in Hamilton, Georgia, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of North College Street (U.S. 27) and Barnes Mill Road, on the right when traveling north on North College Street. The marker is located in front of the Harris County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hamilton GA 31811, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Harris County (here, next to this marker); B. F. White (within shouting distance of this marker); Columbus Baptist Association (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Carver High School (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hamilton Female College (approx. 0.4 miles away); Valley of Hope (approx. 3.7 miles away); Pine Mountain Valley Resettlement Project (approx. 4.2 miles away); Callaway Gardens (approx. 5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hamilton.
 
Regarding U.S.S. Harris County. The bell once stood in front of the courthouse but has been moved.
 
U.S.S. Harris County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 24, 2009
2. U.S.S. Harris County Marker
The marker, and the Harris County marker, stand in front of the courthouse.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 28, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,162 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 28, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=22826

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 15, 2024