Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Loch Raven in Towson in Baltimore County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Colored Methodist Protestant St. Johnís Chapel of Baltimore County

1833

 
 
The Colored Methodist Protestant St. John's Chapel of Baltimore 1833 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Pfingsten, September 3, 2007
1. The Colored Methodist Protestant St. John's Chapel of Baltimore 1833 Marker
Inscription.  Originally constructed as a log cabin in 1833, St. Johnís Chapel and land adjacent thereto served the local black community as a house of worship and burying ground. Services had been held in the present chapel since its construction in 1886. The stone parsonage was built around 1833. Declining attendance forced St. Johnís to close in the early 1960ís but in the 1980ís the property, still owned by descendants of one of the founders, Aquilla Scott, was restored through involvement of the Ruxton Community.
 
Erected by Friends of St. Johnís Chapel, Baltimore County Historical Trust and Maryland Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansCemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1833.
 
Location. 39° 23.69′ N, 76° 38.639′ W. Marker is in Towson, Maryland, in Baltimore County. It is in Loch Raven. Marker is on Bellona Avenue, 0.1 miles south of Malvern Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7541 Bellona Avenue, Towson MD 21204, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Nicholas Ruxton Moore (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fire Power (approx. 1.1 miles away); Huntís Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Rockland (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Home of Governor Augustus W. Bradford (approx. 1.7 miles away); Tigers for Service (approx. 1.7 miles away); Mount Washington Mill (approx. 1.8 miles away); Mt. Washington Mill (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Towson.
 
St. John's Chapel image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Pfingsten, September 3, 2007
2. St. John's Chapel
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 21, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,441 times since then and 117 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 3, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=2286

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 20, 2024