Near Cordesville in Berkeley County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era.
Location. 33° 5.751′ N, 79° 55.983′ W. Marker is near Cordesville, South Carolina, in Berkeley County. Marker is at the intersection of Doctor Evans Road (South Carolina Route S-8-444) and Strawberry Chapel Road, on the right when traveling south on Doctor Evans Road. The chapel is on private grounds and is not open to the public. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Moncks Corner SC 29461, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mepkin Plantation (approx. 1½ miles away); Francis Marion (approx. 5 miles away); St. James, Goose Creek Chapel of Ease / Bethlehem Baptist Church (approx. 5½ miles away); Pompion Hill Chapel (approx. 5.7 miles away); Mulberry Plantation Lewisfield Plantation (approx. 6.9 miles away); Brabant Plantation (approx. 7 miles away); Wadboo Barony (approx. 7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cordesville.
Regarding Strawberry Chapel. Childsbury, one of the early towns to be laid out in South Carolina (1707), is significant as an important archaeological site. Englishman James Child started a ferry here as it was the only practical ferry site across the Cooper River within a reasonable distance. Property was designated for a college, a free school, a house for the schoolmaster, a place of worship, and a market square. To the inhabitants of Childsbury, Child gave 600 acres to farm and pasture. He also gave them the 100-acre hill by the river to build upon as a citadel to protect the town in times of war. Due mainly to the rise of the new and growing plantations, Childsbury began a rapid decline and the town site eventually became part of a plantation. Strawberry Chapel is the only visible remains of the town of Childsbury. Architecturally the chapel displays the simple, yet dignified and impressive lifestyle of an Episcopalian Chapel of Ease. This one story rectangular brick building
National Register of Historic Places:
Strawberry Chapel and Childsbury Town Site (added 1972 - Site - #72001194)
SE of Moncks Corner on CR 44, N of the Tee of the Cooper River, Moncks Corner
♦ Historic Significance: Information Potential
♦ Area of Significance: Religion, Agriculture, Military, Transportation, Education, Architecture
♦ Cultural Affiliation: Early American Settlement
♦ Period of Significance: 1700-1749
♦ Owner: Private
♦ Historic Function: Domestic, Religion
♦ Historic Sub-function: Religious Structure, Village Site
♦ Current Function: Religion
♦ Current Sub-function: Religious Structure
Also see . . . Touring South Carolina's Revolutionary War Sites By Daniel W. Barefoot, page 43. mention of Strawberry Chapel (Submitted on October 4, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
1. Strawberry Chapel
Strawberry Chapel is an independent historic site and NOT associated with the Episcopal Church. The chapel and it’s grounds are private property and not open to the general public. Four community services are held annually and guest are welcome to attend on those days. Descendants of the Child, Ball, Harleston, Waring families continue to serve in protecting and preserving this historic chapel and graveyard.
— Submitted August 11, 2020, by Beverly Stoney of Charleston, South Carolina.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 4, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,716 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 4, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5. submitted on August 11, 2020, by Beverly Stoney of Charleston, South Carolina. 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on October 4, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.