Rocklin in Placer County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Old St. Mary’s
͠ Dedicated 1883 ͠
Rocklin’s Irish community started to raise funds to build their own church – it was St. Patrick’s Day; the year, 1881. Two years later this building was completed. Archbishop Joseph Alemany of San Francisco dedicated the building as St. Mary’s of the Assumption Catholic Church on August 13, 1883.
St. Mary’s served the Catholic communities of Rocklin and Loomis for 100 years. In 1983 the congregation moved to a new facility, SS. Peter and Paul’s on Granite Drive. Ownership changed; The building served the Church of Religious Science, and later, the Baptist faith. Ultimately, Rocklin’s only remaining 19th Century public building fell to disrepair on a Front Street knoll 400 yards south of this spot.
Rocklin Historical Society developed a plan to save St. Mary’s from demolition and restore her. The Keller family donated the building, the City of Rocklin established Heritage Park. On Sept. 17, 2005 hundreds of citizens pulled St. Mary’s to the park. Two years later on Sept. 21, 2007 a new steeple was lifted into place completing the restoration. More than 400 individuals and organizations had participated in the project. St. Mary’s was once again ready to serve the community as “Old St. Mary’s Chapel".
Erected by Rocklin Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Buildings • Religion & Religious Structures. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1846.
Location. 38° 47.456′ N, 121° 14.314′ W. Marker is in Rocklin, California, in Placer County. It is on Front Street near Rocklin Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5251 Front Street, Rocklin CA 95677, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in California’s Sacramento Metro, in the Sierra Nevada, and in the Lake Tahoe Basin. It is also in the American Mountain West. Globally, it is in North America, on the Ring of Fire, in the Pacific Rim, in the Western Hemisphere, in the Western World, and in the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain and also Mexico’s Alta California.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: George A. Wyman (a few steps from this marker); Barudoni Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Rocklin's Front Street Business District (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Saint Mary’s Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); Rocklin's Roundhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Rocklin Wall of Recognition (within shouting distance of this marker); Rocklin Hose Company No. 1 (within shouting distance of this marker); Peter Hill Heritage Park (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rocklin.
Additional commentary.
1. St. Mary's of the Assumption Catholic Church
The church was originally located at 5240 Front St. between Farron and C Streets. The church was constructed during 1882-1883. Father John Leahy was the first resident priest. The original steeple gave way to bad weather and "irreverent woodpeckers" and was removed in 1937. In 1984, a greatly expanded parish relocated to a new church - St. Peter & St. Paul Catholic Church on Granite Drive. A corner stone from the old church rests in front of the new church.
Source: City of Rocklin - Historic Sites. www.rocklin.ca.gov/residents/history/landmarks.asp
— Submitted October 16, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.

Photographed by Syd Whittle, December 6, 2005
9. Sign at Site Prior to Renovation – December 6, 2005
A Community Project Sponsored by the
Rocklin Historical Society
Saint Mary’s is Rocklin’s oldest remaining structure built for public use. The building is being preserved by the Rocklin Historical Society for general public use such as weddings, meetings, small concerts.
A display related to Rocklin’s religious and ethnic heritage will occupy an area at the rear of the building.
As a church the building served three faiths:
Catholic, Saint Mary’s of the Assumption 1883 – 1983
Church of Religious Science 1986 – 1997
Baptist, Faith is the Victory 1997 - 2001
In 2005 the building was donated to the Rocklin Historical Society by Randolph and Sandra Keller; it was moved to the current site in Heritage Park on September 17, 2005.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 10, 2022. It was originally submitted on October 4, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 2,050 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on October 4, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 8. submitted on October 5, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 9. submitted on October 4, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.







