Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

St. James United Methodist Church

 
 
St. James United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, July 17, 2005
1. St. James United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  In 1798 the Methodist Church was incorporated in Augusta and known as the “Augusta Station.” St. John Methodist Episcopal Church was the mother church formed out of this movement and St. James Methodist Episcopal Church was created in 1854 as an outgrowth of St. John. St. John secured the lot for the new church in 1855 and by 1856, a two-story brick building was completed at a cost of $9,661. St. James was named in honor of Reverend James E. Evans, its founder. In 1886, the church building was enlarged, a belfry erected, and the façade improved.

The white marble monument across the street was erected by a St. James Sunday School class in memory of those who had lost their lives in the Civil War. 24 church members’ and 261 other Augustans’ names are inscribed on the monument. The cenotaph was unveiled on December 31, 1873.

The building adjacent to the church was built in 1916 as the parsonage. It was renamed the “Ministry Building” in 1981.

President Eisenhower worshipped here on January 3, 1954.

Emma S. Lester, an early missionary to China wrote in the history of the church this statement:
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
“May St. James shine as a beacon light for centuries to come, and when the summons come that time shall be no more, may the beams from her light ever to the portals of heaven.”
 
Erected by Historic Augusta, Inc. and St. James United Methodist Church.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #34 Dwight D. Eisenhower series list. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1668.
 
Location. 33° 28.233′ N, 81° 57.5′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Georgia, in Richmond County. Marker is on Greene Street, 0.1 miles east of 5th Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 439 Greene Street, Augusta GA 30901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Augusta Civil War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Veterans of All Wars (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Old Government House (about 500 feet away); Amanda America Dickson Toomer (about 600 feet away); Birthplace of the Augusta Chronicle (about 700 feet away); Home of Nicholas Ware (approx. 0.2 miles away); The “Haunted” Pillar of the Lower Market
St. James United Methodist Church Marker seen along westbound Greene Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, May 16, 2010
2. St. James United Methodist Church Marker seen along westbound Greene Street
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Bicentennial Augusta, Ga (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
 
St. James United Methodist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, May 16, 2010
3. St. James United Methodist Church and Marker
St. James United Methodist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, May 16, 2010
4. St. James United Methodist Church and Marker
St. James United Methodist Church and cenotaph, as mentioned image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, May 16, 2010
5. St. James United Methodist Church and cenotaph, as mentioned
St. James United Methodist Church Cenotaph (west side) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, May 16, 2010
6. St. James United Methodist Church Cenotaph (west side)
These Men Died
In Defense Of
The Principals
Of The
Declaration Of
Independence
St. James United Methodist Church Cenotaph (north side) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, May 16, 2010
7. St. James United Methodist Church Cenotaph (north side)
In memory of those who had lost their lives in the Civil War. 24 church members.
St. James' Sabbath School
Dedicates This Tablet
To Her Fallen Heroes.
— • —
List of 6 Officers
2 Non-Coms
16 Privates
St. James United Methodist Church Cenotaph (east side) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, May 16, 2010
8. St. James United Methodist Church Cenotaph (east side)
261 other Augustans’ names are inscribed
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 7, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,634 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on October 7, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on May 18, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=23079

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 25, 2024