Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kennesaw in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Summers House

 
 
Summers House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, October 8, 2009
1. Summers House Marker
Inscription.  Ante-bellum res. of Thomas F. Summers (1812 - 1883), a land-mark of the advance of the left wing of Federal forces upon Confederate positions on & near Kennesaw Mtn. -- June 1864.

June 9. Garrard’s cav. [US] (dismounted), forced withdrawal of Benton’s Mississippi Brigade [CS] from positions N. of Big shanty, to a line at the Summers house -- later, to one several hundred yds. S. at the Roberts farm.

This latter line became the 1st position of McPherson’s 15th, 16th & 17th Corps [US] which were later shifted S. to the Brushy Mtn. line. From June 9 to July 3, 25 dys., Federal & Confederate forces battled on a ten-mile front.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 033-46.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1864.
 
Location. 34° 0.656′ N, 84° 36.394′ W. Marker is in Kennesaw, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is on Old Highway 41 NW (Georgia Route 293
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
) 0 miles north of Airport Road NW, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2395 Old Highway 41 NW, Kennesaw GA 30144, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp McDonald (approx. 0.9 miles away); The General (approx. one mile away); Big Shanty (approx. one mile away); The Andrews Raid (approx. one mile away); Site - Lacy Hotel (approx. one mile away); Stewart's Corps at Big Shanty (approx. one mile away); Federal Occupation of Big Shanty (approx. one mile away); Locomotive "General" (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kennesaw.
 
Summers House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, October 8, 2009
2. Summers House Marker
Looking north, toward the center of Kennesaw and the site where the Andrews Raiders commandeered the locomotive "The General" and began the "Great Locomotive Chase."
Summers House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, October 8, 2009
3. Summers House Marker
Looking south of Old US 41, toward Marietta and Atlanta
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 8, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,190 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 8, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=23103

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 20, 2024