Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Blakely in Early County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Confederate Flag Pole

 
 
Confederate Flag Pole Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 10, 2003
1. Confederate Flag Pole Marker
Inscription.  This flag pole from which the Stars and Bars [CS] proudly flew is the last original Confederate flag staff still standing in Georgia.

The stalwart pole was hewn from a long leaf pine tree that grew one mile southwest of this city in Early county. It was hauled by a yoke of oxen into Blakely and erected where it now stands by Thomas Williams and others on May 16th, 1861.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 049-2.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1858.
 
Location. 31° 22.678′ N, 84° 56.06′ W. Marker is in Blakely, Georgia, in Early County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Georgia Route 1) and College Street, in the median on Main Street. The marker is at the northwest corner of the courthouse square in Blakely. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Blakely GA 39823, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Confederate Dead (a few steps from this marker);
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Early County Peanut Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Early County (within shouting distance of this marker); Three Notch Trail (approx. 1.8 miles away); Kolomoki Mounds State Park 4 mi. (approx. 2.1 miles away); a different marker also named Three Notch Trail (approx. 3˝ miles away); Kolomoki Mounds Archaeological Area (approx. 6.3 miles away); Centerville United Methodist Church (approx. 7˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blakely.
 
Confederate Flag Pole Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
2. Confederate Flag Pole Marker
There is a small plaque on either side of the marker.
Confederate Flag Pole Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
3. Confederate Flag Pole Marker
The plaque on the left reads "This pole was given by Peter Howard in 1861"
Confederate Flag Pole Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
4. Confederate Flag Pole Marker
The plaque on the right of the marker reads "Erection of this marker sponsored by Pilot Club of Blakely 1954-1955"
Confederate Flag Pole Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James L.Whitman, January 30, 2021
5. Confederate Flag Pole Marker
Surrounding bushes have been removed.
Confederate Flag Pole Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Ken Moser,
6. Confederate Flag Pole Marker
Confederate Flag Pole image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
7. Confederate Flag Pole
Confederate Flag Pole and the Early County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
8. Confederate Flag Pole and the Early County Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 10, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,076 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on October 10, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2, 3, 4. submitted on October 17, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   5. submitted on January 31, 2021, by James L.Whitman of Eufaula, Alabama.   6. submitted on January 26, 2011, by Ken Moser of Cartersville, Georgia.   7, 8. submitted on October 17, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=23172

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 20, 2024