Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Morris in Quitman County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Union United Methodist Church

 
 
Union United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 10, 2003
1. Union United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  

Organized as a non-denominational church in 1837, Union United Methodist Church is the oldest church in Quitman County. Thirty-four charter members constituted its initial membership. Among them were Mrs. George Ellis, the first charter member, and Mrs. Adelyn Lee Crumbley, who donated the land for the original church. The present 1867 structure replaces the original log building. Trustees in 1867 were: Abraham Shields, John Phillips, Thomas S. Bryant, James W. Lewis, and James Suggs.

The church building is surrounded by a cemetery. The oldest marked graves date from the 1850's. The present land was purchased from J. J. Crumbley and the deed was recorded in 1865. Homemade church benches are still in use. The communion table, assembled with pegs by Jehu Phillips, was used until the 1960's. Union Church is in the Georgetown charge and remains active.
 
Erected 1980 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1837.
 
Location. 31° 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
52.533′ N, 84° 56.25′ W. Marker is near Morris, Georgia, in Quitman County. Marker is on County Route 84 near Springvale Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Morris GA 39867, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Seat of Government of Randolph County (approx. 8.8 miles away); Harrison-Guerry-Brannon-Crawford Family Cemetery (approx. 9 miles away); Georgetown (approx. 10.1 miles away); Quitman County (approx. 10.1 miles away); Quitman County’s Old Jail (approx. 10.1 miles away); Green Grove Missionary Baptist Church / Green Grove Schoolhouse (approx. 10.2 miles away); Old Cotton Hill Seminary (approx. 10.2 miles away); Randolph County's First “College for Females” (approx. 10˝ miles away).
 
Union United Methodist Church Marker reverse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 10, 2003
2. Union United Methodist Church Marker reverse
Union United Methodist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James L.Whitman, January 24, 2021
3. Union United Methodist Church and Marker
Union United Methodist Church Cemetery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James L.Whitman, January 24, 2021
4. Union United Methodist Church Cemetery
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 17, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,152 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 17, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   3, 4. submitted on February 1, 2021, by James L.Whitman of Eufaula, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=23421

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 17, 2024