Clinton in Laurens County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Clinton Confederate Monument
Stephen D. Lee
Chapter -- 1910
1861 -- 1865
"Lest We Forget"
Erected 1910 by Stephen D. Lee Chapter No. 1066 United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Topics and series. This historical marker and monument is listed in these topic lists: Heroes • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1910.
Location. 34° 28.4′ N, 81° 52.817′ W. Marker is in Clinton, South Carolina, in Laurens County. Marker is at the intersection of Musgrove Street and East Main Street, on the left when traveling north on Musgrove Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clinton SC 29325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Clinton Veterans Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Henry Clinton Young (within shouting distance of this marker); Eugene Blakely Sloan (1922-1969) - Eugene Blakely Sloan (approx. 0.2 miles Broad Street Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Piece of Musgrove's Mill (approx. ¼ mile away); William Plumer Jacobs, D.D., LL.D. (approx. 0.3 miles away); Eugene Blakely Sloan (approx. 0.3 miles away); Malcolm A. MacDonald (approx. 0.4 miles away); Presbyterian College Armed Forces Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Mrs. Lillian G. Brown (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clinton.
Also see . . . Stephen D. Lee. Stephen Dill Lee (September 22, 1833 – May 28, 1908) was an American soldier, planter, legislator, and author. (Submitted on August 16, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Clinton Confederate Monument
On February 16, 1907, the women of Clinton organized a chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy in the home of Mrs. R.Z. Wright. They elected Mrs. W.M. McCaslin president. The chapter, called the General Stephen D. Lee Chapter, was named in honor of Mrs. Wright's cousin.
The U.D.C. organized a series of fund raising efforts and assessed themselves one dollar a year in addition to their regular dues. After three years of labor, the women had raised $1,600. By 1910, the ladies were able to ask several companies for designs. They placed the order for the monument in August 1910.
The U.D.C. considered several dates for the unveiling. They considered Thanksgiving Day and Secession Day-December 20-but rejected both because they feared the monument would be incomplete. At noon on December 21, 1910, the V.D.G took possession of the monument and chose January 19, 1911, Robert E. Lee's birthday, as the date for the dedication. The orator of the day was Anderson lawyer Milledge L. Bonham, son of the late governor. Reverend Harrison Fowler offered the prayer. Sixteen children and grandchildren of Confederate veterans drew the cords, unveiling the shaft.
The monument is made of Winnsboro granite and is a square shaft standing twenty-nine feet tall. It is topped by a polished cannon ball resting on a laurel crown. Cannon balls originally rested at each of the four corners of the base. These are, unfortunately,
— Submitted October 19, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 18, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,475 times since then and 130 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 18, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 5. submitted on August 16, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.