Ridgefield in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
The Confederate Bell
After cleaning and repairing the bell, it was mounted on this pedestal and rededicated to the Town of Ridgefield in a ceremony held July 4, 1971
Erected 1971 by Ridgefield Lions Club.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Historic Bells series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 4, 1971.
Location. 41° 16.777′ N, 73° 29.876′ W. Marker is in Ridgefield, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is on Main Street (Connecticut Route 35) 0.1 miles south of Governor Street, on the left when traveling south. Located in front of the Lounsbury House, the Ridgefield Community Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 316 Main Street, Ridgefield CT 06877, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ridgefield Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); The Lounsbury HouseThe Original Episcopal Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The First Society of Ridgefield (about 300 feet away); Bissell's Destroyed by Two Conflagrations (about 300 feet away); The Village Center in the Early 1900s (about 500 feet away); More of the Great Fire (about 500 feet away); The Great Fire of 1895 (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ridgefield.
1. About the Bell
The photos show that the bell was cast by the Buckeye Bell Foundry during the ownership of G. W. Coffin, which means that it must have been made between 1837 and 1848. However, the yoke and supports for the bell undoubtedly came from the Hooper/Blake bell foundry of Boston, so they were probably acquired for the purpose of hanging the bell in Connecticut.
— Submitted August 17, 2020, by Carl Scott Zimmerman of Kirkwood, Missouri.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 23, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 1,411 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 23, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the bell's shoulder band showing the city and year it was cast • Photo showing sculptural relieve on the side of the bell • Can you help?