Dumfries in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Marked by Bill of Rights Chapter, NSDAR
October 6, 1996
Also on the house:
placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Erected 1996 by Daughters of the American Revolution.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Patriots & Patriotism. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list. A significant historical month for this entry is October 2004.
Location. 38° 34.109′ N, 77° 19.748′ W. Marker is in Dumfries, Virginia, in Prince William County. Marker is at the intersection of Duke Street and Cameron Street, on the left when traveling north on Duke Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dumfries VA 22026, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Weems-Botts House (a few steps from this marker); Mason Locke Weems and George Washington (a few steps from this marker); William Grayson Bandstand Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Dumfries Methodist Church Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); Prince William County Court House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Revolutionary War Patriots and War of 1812 Veterans (approx. 0.2 miles away); Quantico Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); In Memory (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dumfries.
Regarding Weems-Botts House. This museum honors two famous residents of the house, Mason Locke Weems, and Benjamin Botts.
The Reverend Mason Locke Weems was the man who created the legend of George Washington chopping down the cherry tree. In 1800 here at this house, which doubled as a bookstore, he published (with some embelishment) the biography The Life of Washington, forever identifying him as the father of our country.
Attorney Benjamin Botts used the building as a law office. He’s best known for successfully defending Aaron Burr at his infamous treason and conspiracy trial.
The park at this location is named after the Merchant family, who owned
Credits. This page was last revised on May 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 7, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,119 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 30, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 2, 3. submitted on September 7, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 4. submitted on May 30, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 5, 6, 7. submitted on October 24, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.