Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Elkwood in Culpeper County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Where Pelham Fell

 
 
Where Pelham Fell Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kevin White, August 30, 2007
1. Where Pelham Fell Marker
Inscription.  
Four miles southeast, at Kelly’s Ford, Major John Pelham, commanding Stuart’s Horse Artillery, was mortally wounded, March 17, 1863.
 
Erected 1927 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number F-10.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 17, 1847.
 
Location. 38° 30.837′ N, 77° 51.124′ W. Marker is in Elkwood, Virginia, in Culpeper County. Marker is at the intersection of James Madison Highway (U.S. 15/29) and Kelly’s Ford Road (County Route 674) on James Madison Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elkwood VA 22718, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lee's Forgotten Warrior (approx. 0.9 miles away); Battle of Brandy Station (approx. 0.9 miles away); The 1863-64 Winter Encampment (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named Battle of Brandy Station
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 1.1 miles away); St. James Episcopal Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); a different marker also named The Battle of Brandy Station (approx. 1.1 miles away); a different marker also named The 1863-64 Winter Encampment (approx. 1.2 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Brandy Station (approx. 1.2 miles away).
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
 
Also see . . .
1. The Gallant Pelham Marker. Where Major John Pelham earned the title, Gallant. (Submitted on August 31, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.) 

2. Nearby Major John Pelham Monument. The monument shown in photographs 3 through 8 has been moved to Brandy Station, 2 miles west. Use this link to see it at its new location. (Submitted on August 8, 2015.) 
 
Where Pelham Fell Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kevin White, August 30, 2007
2. Where Pelham Fell Marker
Pelham Monument image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, December 22, 2007
3. Pelham Monument
A short distance to the west on the James Madison Highway at the intersection with Beverly Ford Road (CR 676) is this monument to Pelham, erected in 1926 by his wife with the help of the United Daughters of the Confederacy. The monument is best viewed after parking on the roadside of Beverly Ford Road, although there is a section of the old highway road bed in front of the memorial. Visitors should use caution around this busy intersection.
Front Face of Monument image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, December 22, 2007
4. Front Face of Monument
In Memory
of
Major John Pelham
Born Sept. 7, 1838
in Calhoun Co. Ala.
Mortally Wounded
near Kelly's Ford, VA
Right Face image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, December 22, 2007
5. Right Face
Base stone
from Kelly's
ford battlefield
near spot where
Pelham fell.
Rear Face image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, December 22, 2007
6. Rear Face
Like Marshal Ney
one of the
bravest of
the brave
Left Face image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, December 22, 2007
7. Left Face
Erected by
Geo. E.
and his wife
Lenora J. Douglas
1926.
Footstones at the Monument image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, December 22, 2007
8. Footstones at the Monument
Property Pelham
Chapter
U.D.C.
Birmingham
Ala.
Deed of gift to
Culpeper Chapter
UDC # 73
20 Jan. 1998
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 21, 2024. It was originally submitted on August 31, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 4,132 times since then and 111 times this year. Last updated on October 25, 2009, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 31, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.   3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on December 27, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=23619

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 24, 2024