Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marshall in Madison County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Buncombe Turnpike

 
 
Buncombe Turnpike Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Stanley and Terrie Howard, September 27, 2009
1. Buncombe Turnpike Marker
Inscription.  "Completed in 1827 from Saluda Gap to Buncombe County Court House and along the French Broad River by way of Barnard's and Warm Springs to Tennessee line. Served as the major trade route through mountains of western North Carolina until 1882."
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1827.
 
Location. 35° 47.853′ N, 82° 41.046′ W. Marker is in Marshall, North Carolina, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Bridge Street on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 58 Main St, Marshall NC 28753, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. David Vance (here, next to this marker); Colonel Edward F. Rector, USAF (within shouting distance of this marker); Marshall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Marshall High School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jewell Hill (approx. 4.7 miles away); Wellness Center (approx. 7.7 miles away); Mars Hill College (approx. 7.8 miles away); McConnell Hall (approx. 7.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marshall.
 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Buncombe Turnpike Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Stanley and Terrie Howard, September 27, 2009
2. Buncombe Turnpike Marker
Madison County Court House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Stanley and Terrie Howard, September 27, 2009
3. Madison County Court House
Marker is out of site to the left of the Court House.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 26, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 740 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 26, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=23690

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 4, 2024