Near Kinston in Lenoir County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Bragg's Command Post
This house was used to plan the battle that resulted in probably what was the last major Confederate tactical victory of the war, when Hoke’s forces surprised and captured, killed or wounded most (900+0 of Union Brigade Commander Colonel Charles L. Upham’s force. Upham’s brigade was composed of the 15th Connecticut and the 27th Massachusetts infantry regiments and a section of Battery D, 3rd New York Artillery. This was the last mass capture of Union troops by Confederates in the war.
It is documented that the planning was conducted at “the front of the little white house” when on the night of March 7, 1865, Generals Bragg, Hill and Hoke planned the final strategy to stop the Union advance of Major General Jacob D. Cox’s corps. Cox’s force was the lead corps of General John M. Schofield’s army, which was moving from his base at New Bern towards
The Howard house, pictured left, was fronted by the Dover Road near its juncture with the Neuse Road. The Dover Road, approximately 100 feet south at this point, was the principal road connecting Kinston and New Bern. It was ideally suited for its purpose as it was situated behind Southwest Creek, which was the main Confederate defensive line and it was also protected by artillery placed near Jackson’s Mill. The house was demolished in the 1960s.
The yellow sidebar on the lower right reads:
The entire eastern line of defense for mid-Eastern NC was erected along the west bank of Southwest Creek. These substantial fortifications ran from the Neuse River to Jackson’s millpond on the Dover Road (present Highway 70) and were erected to protect the approaches to Kinston and the interior of North Carolina from attacks launched from the Union base at New Bern. These works covered several main routes of approach to Kinston that could be used by the Federals, namely the Neuse Road, the Atlantic and North Carolina Railroad and the Dover Road.
Erected by North Carolina Civil War Trails, the C.S.S. Ram Neuse Camp #1427, Sons of Confederate Veterans and the Lenoir County Battlefields
Marker series. This marker is included in the North Carolina Civil War Trails, and the Sons of Confederate Veterans/United Confederate Veterans marker series.
Location. 35° 14.038′ N, 77° 33.137′ W. Marker is near Kinston, North Carolina, in Lenoir County. Marker is on New Bern Road (U.S. 70) near Neuse Road (North Carolina Highway 1804). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1448 U S 70, Kinston NC 28501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Wyse Fork (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Wyse Fork (approx. 1½ miles away); General Robert Hoke Monument (approx. 1½ miles away); Battle of Kinston (approx. 1.7 miles away); North Carolina (approx. 1.9 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Kinston (approx. 1.9 miles away); Foster's Raid (approx. 1.9 miles away); Lenoir County Confederate Memorial (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kinston.
More about this marker. This is Wyse Fork Battle Tour Stop 1. Wyse Fork Battle Tour Stop #2, located a short distance east (at 1631 U.S. 70, Kinston, NC), has no historical marker at this time.
Also see . . . Battle of Wyse Fork History and Driving Tour. (Submitted on October 29, 2009, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Confederate Headquarters.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 28, 2009, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,348 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 28, 2009, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.