Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Harpers Ferry in Jefferson County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
REMOVED
SEE LOCATION SECTION
 

Storer College 1867-1955

Harpers Ferry National Historic Park

 
 
Storer College 1867-1955 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, August 30, 1998
1. Storer College 1867-1955 Marker
Inscription.  
Thousands of blacks seeking refuge from slavery and protection behind Union lines fled to Harpers Ferry during the Civil War.

Recognizing the importance of education for former slaves, the government’s Freedmen’s Bureau began a school here in 1864, and by 1867—bolstered by a $10,000 donation by Maine philanthropist John Storer—the missionary Freewill Baptists had transformed four abandoned government mansions on Camp Hill into an integrated normal school.

With the development of Jim Crow laws and legal segregation during the last quarter of the 19th century, however, Storer gradually evolved into an all-black school that—at its peak—featured a campus of 20 buildings and an enrollment of 100 students. Due to its symbolic association with John Brown, Storer College on occasion existed as a mecca for those who advocated equality and social justice for American blacks, Storer trustee Frederick Douglass praised John Brown in a famous oration delivered here in 1881, and 25 years later in 1906, W.E.B. Dubois and the Second Niagara Movement convened at Storer in a meeting that eventually resulted in the formation of the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP).

With the end of legal segregation in 1954, and burdened by financial and enrollment problems—Storer closed its doors in 1955.it
 
Erected by National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansEducationWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Historically Black Colleges and Universities series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1864.
 
Location. Marker has been permanently removed. It was located near 39° 19.454′ N, 77° 44.449′ W. Marker was in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker could be reached from the intersection of Fillmore Street and Storer College Place, on the right when traveling east. The marker was on the grounds of the Stephen T. Mather Training Center, formerly the grounds of Storer College. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 51 Mather Place, Harpers Ferry WV 25425, United States of America.

We have been informed that this sign or monument is no longer there and will not be replaced. This page is an archival view of what was.
 
Other nearby markers.
Harpers Ferry National Park-is the story of image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, August 30, 1998
2. Harpers Ferry National Park-is the story of
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. A Land Divided (a few steps from this marker); The Second Meeting of the Niagara Movement (a few steps from this marker); That was the happiest time of my life. (within shouting distance of this marker); Foundations of Freedom (within shouting distance of this marker); Stephen Tyng Mather (within shouting distance of this marker); Storer College Veterans Memorial Gate (within shouting distance of this marker); The Niagara Movement (within shouting distance of this marker); Virginia Lodge No. 1 (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harpers Ferry.
 
Also see . . .  Harpers Ferry National Historical Park. National Park Service (Submitted on August 4, 2016.) 
 
Storer College 1867-1955 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bradley Owen, October 22, 2020
3. Storer College 1867-1955 Marker
Photo is of location where the marker previously stood.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 26, 2023. It was originally submitted on August 4, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 486 times since then and 7 times this year. Last updated on December 25, 2023, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 4, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland.   3. submitted on October 22, 2020, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=238230

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 21, 2024