Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Occoquan in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Ellicott’s Mill

 
 
Ellicott's Mill Marker (Obverse) image. Click for full size.
By Kevin White, September 6, 2007
1. Ellicott's Mill Marker (Obverse)
Inscription.  John Ballendine established this gristmill at the Occoquan Falls ca. 1755. By 1800 it was owned by Nathaniel Ellicott and housed machinery to unload grain from wagons or barges, grind it, and return it to its carrier. The building, the region’s first automated gristmill, burned in 1924. Only the Miller’s House, now the Mill House Museum, remains.
 
Erected by Town of Occoquan.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraIndustry & CommerceWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Virginia, Historic Occoquan series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1755.
 
Location. 38° 41.13′ N, 77° 15.731′ W. Marker is in Occoquan, Virginia, in Prince William County. Marker is on Mill Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Occoquan VA 22125, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Occoquan (a few steps from this marker); Historic Occoquan (a few steps from this marker); Gearwheel Assembly (a few steps from this marker); Town of Occoquan
Ellicott's Mill Marker (Reverse) image. Click for full size.
By Kevin White, September 6, 2007
2. Ellicott's Mill Marker (Reverse)
ca. 1920. Photo by J. Harry Shannon
Click or scan to see
this page online
(a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Historic Occoquan (a few steps from this marker); Historic Carbide Bunker (a few steps from this marker); "Rockledge" (within shouting distance of this marker); The Dogue Indians (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Occoquan.
 
Regarding Ellicott’s Mill. The Mill House has been recognized by the Daughters of the American Revolution, Bill of Rights Chapter, as a deserving and eligible site for a marker. The “Merchants Mill House” was orginally recognized in 1970 and a plaque placed on the outside of the Mill House. The original marker (see picture 5) was stolen in 1996. In June of 1997, the Chapter and Historic Occoquan bought and dedicated a new marker jointly and placed it inside the Mill House building (see picture 6).
 
Also see . . .  Mill House Museum, Government of Occoquan, Virginia. (Submitted on September 21, 2019.)
 
The Mill House Museum image. Click for full size.
By Kevin White, September 6, 2007
3. The Mill House Museum
Prince William County Historical Commission Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Kevin White, September 6, 2007
4. Prince William County Historical Commission Plaque
These plaques are placed on buildings the Historical Commission determines as significant in Prince William County's history.
Daughters of the American Revolution Plague (located inside museum). image. Click for full size.
By Kevin White, September 6, 2007
5. Daughters of the American Revolution Plague (located inside museum).
Merchants Mill House
1765
Marked by
Bill of Rights Chapter
National Society Daughters of the American Revolution
November 1, 1970 Re-Dedicated 1997
Original DAR plaque. image. Click for full size.
6. Original DAR plaque.
Picture obtained from the Bill of Rights Chapter, NSDAR website, (http://www.jadecat.com/dar/).
Occoquan River image. Click for full size.
National Park Service, Thomas Stone National Historic Site, June 4, 2019
7. Occoquan River
Viewing east from footbridge at river.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 26, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 9, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,626 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 9, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.   7. submitted on September 21, 2019. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=2385

Paid Advertisement
Dec. 7, 2021