Salem in Essex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
The Custom House
Before the passage of the Federal Income Tax Act of 1913, customs duties on ship’s cargoes provided much of the money to run the national government. Between 1789 and 1840, duties collected here earned the Treasury more than $20 million – a substantial amount in those days.
Salem’s Customs House was one of several in Massachusetts. It was built in 1819, near the end of Salem’s prominence as a world port. However, the Customs Service used the building for more than a century. Today the Customs House is the centerpiece of Salem Maritime National Historic Site. During scheduled hours you may visit historically furnished rooms that recall Salem’s maritime heritage.
Erected by U.S. Park Service.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: across from 174 Derby St, Salem MA 01970, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. A different marker also named The Custom House (here, next to this marker); Derby Wharf (a few steps from this marker); Privateer Warehouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Derby House (within shouting distance of this marker); Home for Aged Women (within shouting distance of this marker); Wharves in the Late 1800s (within shouting distance of this marker); Central Wharf (within shouting distance of this marker); Salem Maritime National Historic Site (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salem.
More about this marker. This marker was replaced by a new marker with the same name and only slightly different text.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 30, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 899 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 30, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 4. submitted on November 5, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.