Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Minden in Douglas County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Minden Flour Milling Company

 
 
Minden Flour Milling Company Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 11, 2009
1. Minden Flour Milling Company Marker
Inscription.  Completed in 1908, the new mill was financed by many of the early residents of Minden. Initially, it could process 100 barrels of flour daily from the local grain. Its four silos held 65,000 bushels of grain. In 1921 the mill was described as "one of the biggest milling concerns in the state, with a reputation for excellence". Beside flour, a line of chicken mash and cattle feed was produced. The Mill ceased to operate in the late 1960's and was purchased by Bently Nevada Inc. in 1975. The building was designated to the Federal Registry of Historic Buildings in 1978.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1908.
 
Location. 38° 57.301′ N, 119° 45.89′ W. Marker is in Minden, Nevada, in Douglas County. Marker can be reached from U.S. 395 north of Buckeye Road when traveling south. 6th Street turns into Buckeye Road here where it crosses US 395. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1609 US Highway 395 North, Minden NV 89423, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Henry Beck House (within shouting distance of this marker);
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
A. F. Neidt House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Grace Melissa Dangberg (about 500 feet away); John Dangberg House (about 500 feet away); First National Bank of Nevada (about 500 feet away); M. E. Fay House (about 600 feet away); Douglas County World War II Memorial (about 600 feet away); Minden Park (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Minden.
 
More about this marker. The marker is at the northwest end of the building, accessible from the parking lot between the Mill and the Minden Creamery Building.
 
Minden Flour Milling Company Silos image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 11, 2009
2. Minden Flour Milling Company Silos
These four 45-foot tall silos, constructed of Minnesota-made steel, were capable of storing 65,000 bushels of grain. (Marker is visible here at the foot of the silos, mounted on a thigh-high cement pole.)
Minden Flour Milling Company Mill (1908) - View from US 395 and 6th Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 11, 2009
3. Minden Flour Milling Company Mill (1908) - View from US 395 and 6th Street
Minden Flour Milling Company Warehouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 11, 2009
4. Minden Flour Milling Company Warehouse
Across 6th Street/Buckeye Road from the mill and silos is the milling company's warehouse, now used as office space.
Minden Flour Milling Company - National Register of Historic Places Plaque image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 11, 2009
5. Minden Flour Milling Company - National Register of Historic Places Plaque
On the southern end of the US 395 side of the building is mounted a National Register of Historic Places plaque, which seemingly has been mounted on a vacated Nevada State Historical Marker mounting.
Minden Flour Milling Company (1908) - View from Southeast image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 11, 2009
6. Minden Flour Milling Company (1908) - View from Southeast
According to the Statement of Significance filed with the National Register of Historic Places, the mill is the last, largest, and only remaining of five flour mills erected in the Carson Valley between 1854 and 1906.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 1, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. This page has been viewed 1,819 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 1, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California.   3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 2, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=23981

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 3, 2024