Oxford in Butler County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The DeWitt Family / The DeWitt Log Homestead
Side A: The DeWitt Family
Zachariah Price DeWitt was born of a Dutch family in New Jersey in 1768. With brothers Jacob and Peter, he migrated to Kentucky where, in 1790, he married Elizabeth Teets, who was born in Pennsylvania in 1774. By 1805 all three brothers had settled in Ohio near Four Mile (Talawanda) Creek. Here Zachariah and Elizabeth raised corn, hogs, and eventually, nine children. Zachariah became a prominent community leader, operating a sawmill, building houses in Oxford, serving as Masonic Lodge secretary, and commanding a rifle company during the War of 1812. Tradition has it that Elizabeth wore a black sunbonnet to cover a scar from having been scalped as a child in Kentucky. Elizabeth died in 1843, followed by Zachariah in 1851. Both are buried in Darrtown Cemetery.
Side B: The DeWitt Log Homestead
Completed in 1805 by Zachariah DeWitt, this two-story log homestead is the oldest building in Oxford Township and one of the oldest remaining log structures in Ohio. On Miami University land and listed in the National Register of Historic Places, it has been under the care of the Oxford Museum
Erected 2002 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, The Oxford Museum Association, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 13-9.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Education • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings • Notable Events • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1810.
Location. 39° 30.634′ N, 84° 43.132′ W. Marker is in Oxford, Ohio, in Butler County. Marker is at the homestead, 1000 feet north of Oxford-Trenton Road (Ohio Route 73) via an access road, and about 0.8 miles east of Patterson Avenue (US Route 27). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oxford OH 45056, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. The Legend of the Baby in the Well (within shouting distance of this marker); The Verlin L. Pulley Tower (approx. 0.6 miles away); Alumnae Hall (approx. 0.7 miles away); Langstroth Cottage / Lorenzo Langstroth (approx. 0.7 miles away); Freedom Summer 1964 (approx. ¾ mile away); Percy MacKaye / "The Poet's Shack" (approx. ¾ mile away); Upham Hall (approx. 0.8 miles away); William Holmes McGuffey House (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oxford.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 4, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 2,476 times since then and 120 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on November 4, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.