Braselton in Jackson County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Braselton Family
In 1876 William H. Braselton, Sr. and his wife, Susan Hosch Braselton, established a 796-acre farm in western Jackson County. The Braseltons’ children, Henry, Green, John Oliver, Belle, and Lena , grew up working on the family farm, developing several support businesses such as a store and fertilizer operation. The arrival of first the railroad in 1902 and then a state highway in 1927 allowed expansion of farming operations. In 1916 the town of Braselton was incorporated. In addition to the farm, the development of a mercantile and grocery business as well as a grist and flour mill led the brothers to form Braselton Brothers, Inc. in 1921. Braselton Brothers also funded local schools, and published the monthly Four County Booster from 1912-1933.
Erected 2006 by The Georgia Historical Society and the Braselton Memorial Cemetery Foundation. (Marker Number 78-3.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Political SubdivisionsSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
Location. 34° 6.407′ N, 83° 45.717′ W. Marker is in Braselton, Georgia, in Jackson County. Marker is on Green Street (Georgia Route 53) 0 miles south of Henry Street, on the left when traveling south. The Marker is at the Braselton City Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4982 Highway 53, Braselton GA 30517, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Braselton School Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); Hoschton Train Depot (approx. 0.7 miles away); Bethabra Baptist Church (approx. 3.2 miles away); Battle of King's Tanyard (approx. 4.9 miles away); Rockwell Universalist Church (approx. 5.9 miles away); Perry-Rainey Institute (approx. 7.6 miles away); Karina Miller Nature Preserve (approx. 7.6 miles away); Jackson Trail (approx. 7.7 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on April 18, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 7, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,103 times since then and 34 times this year. Last updated on November 6, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1. submitted on December 7, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2, 3. submitted on April 17, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 4. submitted on November 4, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.