Cape Henry in Virginia Beach, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Seashore State Park
Erected 1939 by Virginia Conservation Commission. (Marker Number KV-4.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Environment. In addition, it is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), and the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is June 15, 1839.
Location. 36° 55.078′ N, 76° 3.149′ W. Marker is in Virginia Beach, Virginia. It is in Cape Henry. Marker is on Shore Drive (U.S. 60) near Great Neck Road, on the right when traveling west. This marker is on the side of the road, just past the entrance to the park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Virginia Beach VA 23451, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, Civilian Conservation Corps Company 1371 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Virginia Company (about 400 feet away); First Landing State Park (about 400 feet away); Land Ho! (about 500 feet away); The Discovery (approx. ¼ mile away); George Kendall (approx. ¼ mile away); Chesapeake Indians (approx. 1.4 miles away); Meeting of Three Commanders (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Virginia Beach.
Regarding Seashore State Park. This park was renamed First Landing State Park in 1997 due to the belief that the Virginia Company first landed on the shores of the park before they went on to settle Jamestown.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on September 16, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,844 times since then and 106 times this year. Last updated on November 10, 2009, by Jeff Conner of Norfolk, Virginia. Photos: 1. submitted on September 16, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. 2. submitted on October 16, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on September 19, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.