Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Garland in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
REMOVED
SEE LOCATION SECTION
 

Bankhead Highway in Garland

 
 
Bankhead Highway in Garland Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J Frye, April 3, 2020
1. Bankhead Highway in Garland Marker
Inscription.  
The early 20th century development of the automobile led to major changes in the road systems throughout the U.S. The 1916 Federal Aid Road Act, which supplied matching funds to states for the upgrade of roads, was sponsored by Alabama Senator John H. Bankhead and required that states establish a highway department in order to receive federal disbursements; the act led to the creation of the Texas Highway Department in 1917. The Bankhead Highway, America’s Second east-to-west Transcontinental Highway, was soon routed from Washington D.C. to San Diego.

The Bankhead Highway’s route through Texas included the major cities of Texarkana, Dallas, Fort Worth and El Paso, and passed through the Dallas County town of Garland. In 1919 Texas Bankhead Highway Association Secretary Arthur P. Dyer noted that Garland was the only town on the Texas route which had voluntarily organized and gone to work without asking for outside help. The people of Garland took advantage of the highway’s potential for economic impact. Auto repair shops, restaurants, and service stations were built along Main Street – the Highway’s route through Garland – which
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
was soon paved and curbed. Although the Bankhead was officially designated as Texas Highway 1 in 1917, it also retained the official Bankhead name until 1926, when it became part of U. S. Highway 67. However, the old name remained attached to the Garland segment until the 1950s.

The road’s importance diminished beginning in the 1950s, as most drivers opted to use the wider, safer, and faster new interstate system, but the Bankhead Highway is remembered for its significant place in the history of scores of Texas towns such as Garland.
Marker is property of the State of Texas (2009)
 
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15958.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Roads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1919.
 
Location. Marker has been permanently removed. It was located near 32° 54.769′ N, 96° 38.244′ W. Marker was in Garland, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker was on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Garland TX 75040, United States of America.

We have been informed that this sign or monument is no longer there and will not be replaced. This page is an archival view of what was.
 
Other nearby markers.
Bankhead Highway in Garland Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J Frye, April 3, 2020
2. Bankhead Highway in Garland Marker
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Roach Feed & Seed Co. (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Garland (about 400 feet away); A. J. Head Service Station (about 700 feet away); First Christian Church of Garland (approx. 0.2 miles away); Santa Fe Railroad Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Methodist Church of Garland (approx. ¼ mile away); Public Education in Garland (approx. ¼ mile away); First Presbyterian Church, USA (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Garland.
 
More about this marker. The marker is on the square in downtown Garland.
 
Regarding Bankhead Highway in Garland. This marker is the first historic marker set along the Bankhead Highway after the creation of the Historic Texas Highways program and the designation of the Bankhead Highway as the first Historic Highway in Texas.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 24, 2024. It was originally submitted on April 4, 2020, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 283 times since then and 37 times this year. Last updated on March 24, 2024, by Jeff Leichsenring of Garland, Texas. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 4, 2020, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=243587

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 24, 2024