Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Belle Isle and Old Dominion Iron and Nail Works

 
 
Belle Isle and Old Dominion Iron and Nail Works Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, November 3, 2009
1. Belle Isle and Old Dominion Iron and Nail Works Marker
Inscription.  Once called Washington’s or Broad Rock Island, Belle Isle was bought by Captain John Smith from Chief Powatan in 1608. Early travelers found the island natural and idyllic and current visitors only see hints of the island’s industrial past. In 1815, a wooden dam built on the southern side diverted water to power a nail factory, which eventually became Old Dominion Iron and Steel. Belle Isle later became the home of stone quarries and a Virginia Electric Power plant.

Old Dominion Iron and Nail Works
Old Dominion Iron and Nail Works began in 1832. This large factory employed many Richmonders. The company manufactured iron bars, horseshoes, nails, spikes, staybolt bars for steam locomotives, and plates for the C.S.S Virginia and other vessels during the Civil War. As steel replaced iron, the company changed its name to Old Dominion Iron and Steel Corporation and began producing steel products.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceWar, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1608.
 
Location. 37° 32.127′ N, 77° 26.785′ 
Business cards image. Click for full size.
November 8, 2009
2. Business cards
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker can be reached from Tredegar Street 0.1 miles west of South 5th Street. This marker is located outside the Civil War Visitor Center at Tredegar Iron Works. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 470 Tredegar Street, Richmond VA 23219, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tredegar in 1951 (here, next to this marker); Belle Isle Prison (a few steps from this marker); The Bulldozer Press (a few steps from this marker); President Lincoln Visits Richmond (within shouting distance of this marker); Francis Turbine (within shouting distance of this marker); Adapting Power (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Industrial Patterns (within shouting distance of this marker); Tredegar Rolling Mills (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
 
More about this marker. On the upper left are images of Captain John Smith and Chief Powhatan. On the lower left is a photograph of Old Dominion Nails & Iron.

On the right is a watercolor of Belle Isle with the caption, "Benjamin Henry Latrobe, noted architect and engineer, made this watercolor looking toward Richmond from Belle Isle in 1796. The foreground conveys the island’s natural landscape before industry came in 1815."

On the lower right is a drawing of the covered railroad bridge to Belle Isle.
 
Also see . . .
1. Civil War Visitor Center at Tredegar Iron Works. Richmond National Battlefield Park (Submitted on November 11, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.) 

2. Belle Isle. National Park Service (Submitted on November 11, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.) 

3. Old Dominion Iron and Steel Corporation. Southern Railwayfan (Submitted on November 11, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.) 

4. Belle Isle Prison. Civil War Richmond (Submitted on November 11, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
Old Dominion Iron and Nail Works image. Click for full size.
November 8, 2009
3. Old Dominion Iron and Nail Works
 
 
Belle Isle can be seen in the distance under the Lee Bridge. image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, November 3, 2009
4. Belle Isle can be seen in the distance under the Lee Bridge.
Railroad Bridge and Old Dominion Iron and Nail Works on Belle Isle image. Click for full size.
By E. & H. T. Anthony, Apr 1865
5. Railroad Bridge and Old Dominion Iron and Nail Works on Belle Isle
Library of Congress [LC-B811- 3273]
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 11, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 3,195 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 11, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=24375

Paid Advertisement
May. 10, 2021