Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Camp Wood in Real County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of Camp Wood

 
 
Site of Camp Wood Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Royal, November 7, 2009
1. Site of Camp Wood Marker
Inscription.  Established May 20, 1857, as a means of preventing Indian raids on the San Antonio—El Paso route and the Rio Grande Valley • Abandoned March 15th, 1861, when Federal troops were withdrawn from Texas.
 
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 4749.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesMilitaryNative Americans. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 15, 1762.
 
Location. 29° 40.616′ N, 100° 0.891′ W. Marker is in Camp Wood, Texas, in Real County. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Camp Wood TX 78833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of the Mission San Lorenzo De La Santa Cruz (here, next to this marker); Charles A. Lindbergh in Texas (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dixie Settlement (approx. 3½ miles away); Site of Nix Mill (approx. 3½ miles away); The Pioneer Coalsons (approx. 3½ miles away); Camp Fawcett
Site of Camp Wood Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Royal, November 7, 2009
2. Site of Camp Wood Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 4.3 miles away); General John R. Baylor (approx. 9½ miles away); Site of the Mission Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria (approx. 9½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Camp Wood.
 
Site of Camp Wood Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Royal, November 7, 2009
3. Site of Camp Wood Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 11, 2009, by Bill Royal of Sun City Ctr, Florida. This page has been viewed 975 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 11, 2009, by Bill Royal of Sun City Ctr, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=24382

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2021