Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Warthen in Washington County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Warthen

 
 
Warthen Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, October 28, 2009
1. Warthen Marker
Inscription.  Washington County, which once embraced all the territory from the Cherokee corner North, from the Ogeechee to the Oconee and the Liberty on the South, was surveyed in 1784. Soon the small settlement known as Warthen’s Store was designated as the area in which Court was to be held. The first Superior Court Session sat at the home of Mr. Benjamin Tennille. Court Sessions continued to be held in the vicinity until 1798 when a more central point was selected.

The hewn log jail, in which Aaron Burr was confined over night, stands a few yards west of this marker.

Bethlehem Academy, chartered in 1832 was one of four schools established by the State Legislature in Washington County. These educational institutions were maintained by a lottery authorized for this purpose.
 
Erected 1954 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission. (Marker Number 150-4.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationLaw EnforcementSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1784.
 
Location.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
33° 6.041′ N, 82° 48.292′ W. Marker is in Warthen, Georgia, in Washington County. Marker is on Warthen Road (Georgia Route 15) 0 miles south of Warthen Lane, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7691 Warthen Road, Warthen GA 31094, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of First Washington County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Warthen Historic District (approx. 0.8 miles away); President Jefferson Davis (approx. 1.4 miles away); David A. Gordon (approx. 7.6 miles away); The Brown House (approx. 7.8 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 8 miles away); Washington County Court House (approx. 8.1 miles away); Pvt. Willie Lee Duckworth Sr. (approx. 8.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Warthen.
 
Also see . . .  Biography of Aaron Burr. (Submitted on November 13, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
 
Warthen Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, October 28, 2009
2. Warthen Marker
Buildings along Warthen Lane can be seen in the background, including the old jail (just to the left of the white building).
Warthen Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, October 28, 2009
3. Warthen Marker
Looking north in Warthen, with Georgia Highway 15 on the right
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 11, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 945 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 11, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=24393

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2024