Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fayetteville in Cumberland County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Forging and Casting [and] Smith's Shops (1839 - 1842)

Arsenal Park

 
 
Forging and Casting [and] Smith's Shops (1839 - 1842) Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., July 27, 2009
1. Forging and Casting [and] Smith's Shops (1839 - 1842) Marker
Inscription.  
The lighter brick in this pad outlines the foundations of two shops, the smiths and the forging and casting. These shops were built simultaneously between 1839 and 1842. During Confederate occupation, these shops, along with the engine house, were the central areas for repairing and modernizing arms.
 
Erected by Museum of the Cape Fear.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceMilitaryWar, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1839.
 
Location. 35° 3.248′ N, 78° 53.658′ W. Marker is in Fayetteville, North Carolina, in Cumberland County. Marker and foundation are in Arsenal Park, between Arsenal Avenue and Branson Street, to the immediate west of the pedestrian bridge over the Martin Luther King, Jr. Freeway (U.S. 401). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fayetteville NC 28305, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Engine House (1838 - 1848) (within shouting distance of this marker); The "Ghost" Tower (within shouting distance of this marker); North Carolina Arsenal
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); Fayetteville Arsenal (within shouting distance of this marker); North Carolina (within shouting distance of this marker); Gun Carriage and Turning Shop (1842 - 1849) (within shouting distance of this marker); Arsenal Stones (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Arsenal Park (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fayetteville.
 
Also see . . .  Fayetteville Arsenal. (Submitted on November 12, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Forging and Casting [and] Smith's Shops (1839 - 1842) and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., July 27, 2009
2. Forging and Casting [and] Smith's Shops (1839 - 1842) and Marker
Marker in foreground, looking south along the west perimeter of the Arsenal.
Diagram Showing Shops Location in Arsenal image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., July 27, 2009
3. Diagram Showing Shops Location in Arsenal
Arsenal Engraving image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., July 27, 2009
4. Arsenal Engraving
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 12, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 780 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 12, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=24420

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 24, 2024