Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Gray in Jones County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Blountsville

<------<<<<

 
 
Blountsville Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 7, 2009
1. Blountsville Marker
Inscription.  Near here was Blountsville, an early stagecoach station and post office until after the War Between the States. It suffered severely during the War and the town disappeared. The home of many prominent families, Blountsville was the site of Blountsville Academy, chartered in 1834 with Allen Drury, William E. Ethridge, John W. Stokes, Francis Tufts and John W. Gordon serving as trustees. Blountsville was named for the Blount family, pioneer Georgians. A strong Baptist Church was here, first led by Rev. Benjamin Milner. The Tift, Dumas, Miller, Williams, McCullough and Hurt families were other pioneers.
 
Erected 1955 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 084-9.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionCommunicationsEducationSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1834.
 
Location. 33° 6.583′ N, 83° 28.9′ W. Marker is near Gray
Blountsville Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 7, 2009
2. Blountsville Marker
The marker, with another marker named Blountsville in the background, and US 129 to the right.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, Georgia, in Jones County. Marker is at the intersection of Eatonton Highway (U.S. 129) and Damascus Church Road, on the left when traveling north on Eatonton Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gray GA 31032, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Blountsville (a few steps from this marker); Howell Cobb Plantation (approx. 5.7 miles away); Cobb's Quarter, Sherman's Campsite (approx. 5.7 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 7.6 miles away); James C. Roberts Municipal Complex (approx. 7.6 miles away); The Baptist Church of Christ at Ramoth (approx. 7.6 miles away); Jones County (approx. 7.7 miles away); James Madison Gray (approx. 7.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gray.
 
Blountsville Markers image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 7, 2009
3. Blountsville Markers
Another view of the two Blountsville markers on US 129. The photo is taken from Damascus Church Road, with Blounts Chapel Road leading off to the left.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 23, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,064 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 23, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=24764

Paid Advertisement
Sep. 21, 2021