Salem in Essex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Second Corps of Cadets 1629
The First Militia Company in Massachusetts Bay is organized in Salem
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Military.
Location. 42° 31.35′ N, 70° 53.507′ W. Marker is in Salem, Massachusetts, in Essex County. It can be reached from the intersection of New Liberty Street and Essex Street, on the left when traveling south. The marker is located between the Salem Armory Regional Visitor Center (2 New Liberty Street) and the adjacent Armory Park. It part of a series of markers describing the history of the Second Corps of Cadets. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 New Liberty Street, Salem MA 01970, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is on Massachusetts’ North Shore, in Greater Boston, and in the Merrimack Valley. It is also in the American Northeast, in New England, and on the Eastern Seaboard. Globally, it is in the North Atlantic Region, North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once one of the original Thirteen Colonies.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Second Corps Cadets (here, next to this marker); Count Casimir Pulaski (here, next to this marker); The Civil War (here, next to this marker); Revolutionary War (a few steps from this marker); Colonial Militia (a few steps from this marker); Legacy of the Second Corps of Cadets (a few steps from this marker); Armory Park (a few steps from this marker); Second Corps of Cadets (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salem.
Regarding Second Corps of Cadets 1629. In 1890, the Second Corps of Cadets acquired the Francis Peabody property in Salem to use for its headquarters. The Corps also built a drill shed on the property. The Second Corps of Cadets became a unit of the Massachusetts National Guard in1920. In 1982, the headquarters was destroyed in a fire. The drill shed became the National Park Service Salem Visitor Center in 1994. In 2002, the Essex Peabody Museum created Armory Park where the Peabody house once stood.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 2, 2024. It was originally submitted on June 22, 2024, by Marc Posner of Somerville, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 151 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 22, 2024, by Marc Posner of Somerville, Massachusetts. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.


