Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Oakwood in Hall County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Historic Redwine

 
 
Historic Redwine Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 28, 2009
1. Historic Redwine Marker
Inscription.  Co. D, 27th Ga. Inf., Colquitt’s Brig., CSA, organized here in early 1861, fought at Williamsburg, Seven Pines, Seven Days Battles. At South Mtn., Md., Sept. 14, 1862, against great odds, men of this Co. withstood four attacks by a heavy force of Federals, in a great display of bravery. Later, they fought at Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Charleston. At Olustee, Fla., Feb. 20, 1864, they helped drive the Federals from Fla. Until Lee’s arrival, they helped hold in check Grant’s army at Petersburg, Va. They fought last at Bentonville, N.C., and surrendered at Durham, N.C., Apr. 26, 1865.
 
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 069-4.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1842.
 
Location. 34° 13.385′ N, 83° 51.344′ W. Marker is in Oakwood, Georgia, in Hall County. Marker is on Poplar Springs Road (Georgia Route 332) ¼ mile east of Atlanta Highway (Georgia
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Route 13), on the left when traveling east. The marker is in front of the Redwine United Methodist Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3285 Poplar Springs Road, Oakwood GA 30566, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jackson at Young's Tavern (approx. 3 miles away); Gen. Andrew Jackson (approx. 3.1 miles away); Old Federal Road (approx. 3.7 miles away); Two Georgia Governors (approx. 4.7 miles away); The Flowery Branch Depot (approx. 4.8 miles away); James Longstreet (approx. 5 miles away); The Historic Piedmont Hotel (approx. 5 miles away); Jesse Jewell (approx. 5.3 miles away).
 
Historic Redwine Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 28, 2009
2. Historic Redwine Marker
Looking east on Poplar Springs Road
Historic Redwine Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 28, 2009
3. Historic Redwine Marker
Looking west on Poplar Springs Road toward Oakwood
Historic Redwine Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 28, 2009
4. Historic Redwine Marker
The marker stands in front of the Redwine United Methodist Church.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 29, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,331 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 29, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=24975

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 24, 2024