Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lebanon in Warren County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Van Sickle House

 
 
Van Sickle House Marker (Side A) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., August 3, 2009
1. Van Sickle House Marker (Side A)
Inscription.  
Side A:
Located on lot No. 29 of the 1802 town plat, this land was bought by William H. Van Sickle in 1868 for $800. The house was built a short time later. Van Sickle was the grandson of one of Lebanon's founders, Ephraim Hathaway. A village councilman and owner of a nearby grocery on Mulberry Street, Van Sickle died here in 1888.
(Continued on other side)


Side B:
(Continued from other side)
Van Sickle's daughter, Eloise, and her husband, Joseph P. Rawles, a local druggist, lived here well into the 1900s. Made in the Italianate style, the house is in the largest of Lebanon's four historic districts, the East End. In this area nearly 200 homes, built for the town's middle class in the late 1800s, remain relatively unaltered.
 
Erected by Lebanon Rotary Club.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceMan-Made FeaturesNotable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Rotary International series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1802.
 
Location.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
39° 25.993′ N, 84° 12.338′ W. Marker is in Lebanon, Ohio, in Warren County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Ohio Route 123) and Cherry Street, on the left when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 130 E Main Street, Lebanon OH 45036, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ferguson House (within shouting distance of this marker); Bundy House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Lewis House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); I.O.O.F. Temple (about 500 feet away); The Wood Building (about 600 feet away); Herb's Place (about 600 feet away); The Town Plat / The Tharp House (about 700 feet away); The Harner Sisters (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lebanon.
 
Van Sickle House Marker (Side B) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., August 3, 2009
2. Van Sickle House Marker (Side B)
Van Sickle House and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., August 3, 2009
3. Van Sickle House and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 2,137 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=25059

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 23, 2024