Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Sharon in Taliaferro County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Raytown Methodist Church

 
 
Raytown Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 14, 2009
1. Raytown Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  This church is located in that part of the original Wilkes Circuit of 1786, “the cradle of Georgia Methodism,” from which Bishop Francis Asbury formed the Little River Circuit at the Camden, S. C. Conference in January 1802. The Raytown Methodists from Virginia, Maryland, North and South Carolina, were “formed into Society” in the early 1800’s, held their first meetings in the homes of members, and, after 1828, worshiped for some years in the old South Liberty Meeting House. When rapid growth created a need for a separate church, this land, given by James Moore, Sr., and Mrs. Mary Shaw Pearson, was surveyed Nov. 25, 1845, deeded Dec. 17, 1845, and the first building erected. Trustees named were Bedor Proctor, George W. Flynt, Nathaniel Parham, Aaron T. Kendrick, John Wright, William Cicero Wright, John C. Byrd and John Hartwell Phelts. Disrupted by absence of men and ministers during the War Between the States, services were resumed, April 2, 1865, on the reorganization of the Raytown Union Sabbath School, John H. Beall, Superintendent, and William H. Brooks, Secretary. The present building was erected in 1890. Among
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
the ministers of the church in the 1800’s were Josiah Lewis, Allen Thomas, Felix Persons Brown, Miles Wesley Arnold, and Andrew Jackson Hughes, all known for their outstanding work in building the great rural churches of Georgia Methodism.
 
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 131-19.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher, and the Georgia Historical Society series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1802.
 
Location. 33° 34.373′ N, 82° 44.628′ W. Marker is near Sharon, Georgia, in Taliaferro County. Marker is on Lower Mill Road (County Route 16) 0 miles west of Sheehan Road NE (County Route 17), on the left when traveling east. The church and marker are one-half mile east of Raytown. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sharon GA 30664, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ray's Place (approx. 0.6 miles away); Robert Grier, Astronomer (approx. 1.2 miles away); Grave of Brig. Gen. Aaron W. Grier (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Church of the Purification (approx. 3 miles away); South Liberty Presbyterian Church
Raytown Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 14, 2009
2. Raytown Methodist Church Marker
Looking east on Lower Mill Road, once the Old Wrightsville Road and one of the most important roads in the section.
(approx. 3.2 miles away); Site of Chivers Plantation and Store (approx. 5.7 miles away); Birthplace of Alexander Hamilton Stephens (approx. 7.2 miles away); The Original R.F.D. (approx. 7.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sharon.
 
Raytown Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 14, 2009
3. Raytown Methodist Church Marker
The marker at the entrance to the church on Lower Mill Road
Raytown Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 14, 2009
4. Raytown Methodist Church
Built in 1890
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 5, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,195 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 5, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=25129

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 22, 2024