Reading in Berks County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Site of Federal Inn, erected about 1754. George Washington, with military escort, was a guest here, October, 1794, when on his way to muster an armed force to suppress the Whiskey Rebellion.
Erected 1951 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Colonial Era. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, and the Whiskey Rebellion series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1794.
Location. 40° 20.129′ N, 75° 55.693′ W. Marker is in Reading, Pennsylvania, in Berks County. Marker is at the intersection of Penn Street and 5th Street (Business U.S. 222), on the right when traveling west on Penn Street. Marker is adjacent to the former Farmers National Bank building on Penn Square in downtown Reading. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 445 Penn Street, Reading PA 19601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named The Federal Inn (a few steps from this marker); Hiester Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Conrad Weiser Trading PostWoman's Christian Temperance Union Drinking Fountain (within shouting distance of this marker); Col. Conrad Weiser (within shouting distance of this marker); William Strong (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dr. Bodo Otto (about 400 feet away); Henry A. Muhlenberg (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Reading.
Also see . . . Whiskey Rebellion. (Submitted on December 6, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2018. It was originally submitted on December 6, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 866 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 6, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.