Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clinton in Jones County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Clinton Female Seminary

 
 
Clinton Female Seminary Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 7, 2009
1. Clinton Female Seminary Marker
Inscription.  Clinton Female Seminary was incorporated on Dec. 15, 1821 by Act of Legislature signed by Gov. John Clark. Trustees were James Smith, Gustavus Hendrick, Samuel Lowther, Henry G. Lamar and Charles J. McDonald. This successful school under Rev. Thomas Bog Slade, honor graduate of Chapel Hill, N. C., was the forerunner of Georgia Female College (Wesleyan) in Macon. On Jan. 9, 1839 Prof. Slade went to Wesleyan as leading instructor, taking 30 students and two of his best teachers with him. He wrote the first diploma delivered at Wesleyan, said to be the first degree granted by any college to a woman.
 
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 084-11.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducationWomen. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1864.
 
Location. 32° 59.833′ N, 83° 33.55′ W. Marker is in Clinton, Georgia, in Jones County. Marker is on Pulaski Street, 0.1 miles west
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of Washington Street, on the right when traveling east. The marker is in a small roadside park in Clinton. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gray GA 31032, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Samuel Griswold (here, next to this marker); Sherman’s Right Wing (here, next to this marker); The Stoneman Raid (here, next to this marker); Old Clinton (here, next to this marker); Macarthy-Pope House (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); LaFayette (about 700 feet away); Clinton Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gen. Iverson’s Birthplace (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clinton.
 
Clinton Female Seminary Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 7, 2009
2. Clinton Female Seminary Marker
The marker is to the right in this group of markers in the small park in Clinton.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 6, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,097 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 6, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=25209

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 27, 2024